Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 resoldering copper fittings
Author: lc60631 (IL)

When I disasemble copper piping to reconfigure it, I have trouble resoldering the new pipe to the old fitting. Whats best method to get water tight joint?

Reply To This Message

Re: resoldering copper fittings
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Using a new fitting would probably be best. Other than that just make sure the new pipe is properly cleaned, fluxed and heated. The old fitting is already tinned so it shouldn't be whats causing the problem.

Reply To This Message

Author: mrmike (NY)

I have good luck by cleaning the old fitting with steel wool while the old solder is still "hot" when taking it apart. If it is a female fitting, I swab it inside and out. Be careful & wear good gloves.

Reply To This Message

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

As long as you can put the two pieces together, it should solder. Clean the pipe and the fitting with emery or steel wool. It is not necessary, or even desirable, to get down to bare copper. The tinning of the surface makes soldering easier. But must be clean, and of course well fluxed with a fresh flux application.

Reply To This Message

Author: e-plumber (NY)

There's only a few rare instances where copper sweat fittings would/should be reused.

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -
John William Gardner 10/8/1912 - 2/16/2002

Repair your leaking Plumbing fixtures ASAP [www.theplumber.com]
This slow drip will waste 7+ gallons of water per day.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

You are doing something wrong then, because soldering to ANYTHING which has been taken apart, and thus pretinned, is easier than making a new joint. However, you do have to do it just as if it were a new joint.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

One would be when you did not remove the fitting, just the tubing which went into the fitting, which is probably what this person is referring to, since he mentions "new copper tubing".

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

steel wool is not recommend for use in cleaning copper pipe or fittings

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Most of the time it is better to use new fittings, but there are instances where we do have to resolder onto old connections,etc. As I stated in another post here, I always swab the joint when I am taking it apart (hot) with steel wool. It does not take the tin off but smooths it out & cleans it for a nice new joint.
Who doesn't recommend steel wool? It is probably because of the filings getting into the system. I use a cleaning brush & steel wool & I always flush the system well before I leave.

Reply To This Message

the copper organization. steel wool leaves particles on teh pipe and in the fittings and can cause a bad joint even though it may look good

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

IF the solder is hot a rag cleans them better than steel wool. Otherwise a fitting brush is also preferable to steel wool.

Reply To This Message

APPARENTLY NO-ONE HERE HAS EVER WORKED WITH ANY OLD TIME PLUMBERS WHO WERE SKILLED CRAFTSMAN. A rag for cleaning a hot joint?? Associations have their good points but aren't a rule of thumb. We learn thru experiance & filtering out the good ideas that work for us.

Reply To This Message

Author: redwood (CT)

:laugh:
Guess Mr. Mike told you HJ...
:laugh:

Yea a rag works great on hot fittings...
As long as it's not polyester...
Found a few of those in the last bale of rags we got at the shop.
I hate when that happens.

Reply To This Message

YES, a rag, or cloth if you will, across a hot tinned copper tube or inside the fitting, removes all but the thinnest layer of solder, making it perfectly prepared for resoldering, AND the tubing usually inserts without binding. What is your problem with it?

Reply To This Message

He sure did. Now if I can just figure out WHAT he told me.

Reply To This Message

Author: PlumberManDan (IA)

It sounded like he was saying that it is easier to do it the hard way instead of the easy way. Personally I have found that the BLUE shop towels either on the roll or in a box work great. Funny thing my uncle also a OLD TIME Master plumber, used old cotton t-shirts, Not steel wool.

PlumbCat TM 2003

Plumbermandan

Reply To This Message

Never steel wool. Soapless Skotch Brite pads do clean the copper quite well, however.

Reply To This Message

HJ, no problem with the rag, if you noticed I had a question mark. I am open to it. I have always used a wet rag to cool down the joint I'm sweating & it makes a nice neat job. Seems like everyone is against steel wool, the hard way of doing it, but I have never had a problem with it. TIme for us old guys to move aside, as we must have did it wrong all these years.

Reply To This Message

there are a great many plumbers that were taught bad habbits or just plain wrong

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

Age and treachery will win out over youth and enthusiasm every time.

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Teach him to relieve back pressure be for attempting to make a reconfigured joint.Good Luck.

Reply To This Message

And how is that different from relieving back pressure with a NEW joint?

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Just trying to get to the problem with remaking it.Many times this point is overlooked.Good Luck.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.