Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 515,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Shark-bite leak
Author: PaulaPlumbDummy (MT)

I bought a mobile home 3 years ago, I have been the repair woman from hell ever since.
The water coming into the shower (behind the wall) is leaking I used a shark-bite fitting (which have been excellent in the past) still leaks, I have used another fitting, 3 different cuts of pipe, It has been 4 days, if anyone may have a idea what I could be doing wrong I would appreciate it very much

Thank you all so very much. A new days with some new ideas. Hot Dog! Thank you Thank you

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Re: Shark-bite leak
Author: dlh (TX)

have you looked the fitting over like checking for a small tare in an o-ring?

are you sure the pipe was seated in the fitting all the way?

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

you shouldnt use sharkbites inside walls

i recommend soldering it all up and getting rid of all the sharkbites

sharkbites work great in an emergency or a open space

i use them to convert from copper to cpvc in basements, i never use them inside walls...i would never trust it....

i dont know why they keep leaking for you...ive never had 1 leak....it doesnt matter because they should not be there...no plumber would do it that way..

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Well .the gray stuff you are dealing with may be decomposing at, the there is no seam area.If you are using shark bites with the backing lug's try installing The lug ,before the shark bite.Also check your cut method,use a new razor sharp knife and see if that helps.Snap type cutters can actually crack this stuff before it cut's it.Good luck.Hope you can remove this whole section of pipe .

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: mjb1962853 (NY)

The outer surface of the tubing MUST be smooth. To prevent a nick or tear in the o-ring, you should also bevel the outside edge of the fresh cut tube. NEW sharkbites usually come with a little silicone grease packed around the o-ring. If you are re-using the same sharkbite, check for any damage to the o-ring as suggested above. If good, apply a TINY amount of silicone grease to the o-ring and maybe the outside of the tube before re-assembling.

The best solution is to glue (CPVC) or solder (copper) all of the shower plumbing that will be in the wall. I like sharkbites for special connections, but they are way too expensive for general use. Although rated for use just about anywhere, I haven't used them long enough to trust them inside a wall.

Reply To This Message

Author: redwood (CT)

"you shouldnt use sharkbites inside walls
i recommend soldering it all up and getting rid of all the sharkbites
sharkbites work great in an emergency or a open space
i use them to convert from copper to cpvc in basements, i never use them inside walls...i would never trust it....
i dont know why they keep leaking for you...ive never had 1 leak....it doesnt matter because they should not be there...no plumber would do it that way.."

They aren't approved for use in walls, concealed locations and underground? I thought otherwise!

Please tell me how to sweat polybutylene...

Paula,
If you have inspected the O-ring for nicks and tears, the polybutylene tube is cut straight, the outer part of the tube is entirely smooth, and it is inserted all the way into the sharkbite it shouldn't be leaking.

Is the tube failing by splitting?

It may just be time to bite the bullet and repipe with PEX Tubing.

Have a look at this link...
[www.watts.com]
Interested?

Reply To This Message

Author: Deb (ID)

What kinds of pipe(s) are you dealing with here? There may be a better alternative than the Sharkbite fittings (which aren't working).

Deb-The Pipewench

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

Soldering would be great, except this is a mobile home and thus probably has ABS, PE,PB, or some other plastic.

Reply To This Message

Author: PaulaPlumbDummy (MT)

Thank you for your time. It is the grey plastic pipe throughout, I have been slowly changing to the red. This spot: I have went red then white then back to red. I guess it's time to learn to solder Thanx again

Reply To This Message

Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

i never said they werent approved for conceiled spaces....just that no plumber would do that....and you agree...

solution-replumb shower mixer - no sharkbites

Reply To This Message

Don't try to solder the plastic pipes. And it doesn't appear you have any copper ones to solder.

Reply To This Message

Author: Deb (ID)

Where are you planning on soldering? Is the red and white pipe PEX?

Reply To This Message

Time to discover cpvc.You will love it.Good Luck.Remember to insulate your hot lines.

Reply To This Message

"i never said they werent approved for conceiled spaces....just that no plumber would do that....and you agree..."

No I don't agree, I have used many in concealed places and never had a problem with one yet.

"Time to discover cpvc.You will love it.Good Luck.Remember to insulate your hot lines."

I would consider CPVC in a Trailer in Montana to not be a wise choice of material.
PEX would be My #1 Choice.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

nothing worng with cpvc. infact they did a study and found that the water tastes better than with any other type of piping

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

However in a trailer in Montana the possibility of freeze damage plays a trump card.

Reply To This Message

i cant help that you people like to freeze to death most of the year ;)

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

And what did they compare it to? Taste tests are extremely subjective. What tastes good to me might be repugnant to you. Which is why water company love to publish testimonials. They can pick the ones that praise their product.

Reply To This Message

How will discovering CPVC help if the problem is on the PB side?

Reply To This Message

i dont know. it was not a "scientific" study and i am not about to try and search through all the trade pubs. to find the article:P

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

Replacement of segments, and throughout, as money, time allows .A sharkbite is not a cheap fitting . Figuring out you can re-pipe, part's cost only, for the cost of many repairs. Makes replacing it a better option.and any tubing that is allowed to freeze is not going to let water flow through it.And if the fitting freezes,it wont matter what it is made of. It will burst.Pex may be her alternative, if the replacement or repair occurs in the dead of winter temp's. The real fitting's and tools and being sure they are used right,Is not apply the glue in an even coat and wipe excess,allowing for cure time ,Ok a new pair of snap cutters.Hot piping no mater where it is located should be insulated in my mind,it will always serve the all mighty buck.We will all live to see all the codes change to insulated hot distribution piping only.Green is coming and just in my little part of the country I can count endlessly the gallons of water wasted every day because,you have to run it to get it hot.and retro fit systems waste energy trying to serve the customers want's after the fact.Good Luck.Ok I just had to rant.

Reply To This Message

Author: steve (CA)

" Taste and smell of water. Advocates of plastic plumbing pipe have long hailed the product’s ability to maintain water quality. That is to say that neither CPVC nor PEX will leach potentially harmful copper into the water supply. However, a recent sensory impact study conducted by The Civil and Environmental Engineering Department of Virginia Tech further documented the superiority of CPVC, in particular, as it related to water taste and smell. A trained panel using Flavor Profile Analysis to assess odors and tastes of water in contact with various piping materials, found CPVC clearly outperformed the other materials in the test."

[imperialvalleynews.com]

Reply To This Message

I think she is more concerned with the water staying in the pipes right now ,though I like to hear good news about what we need to use,rather than copper.Good Luck.

Reply To This Message

i heard somewhere (have not heard since or confermed) that there was a problem with pex, i am not even sure what the problem is. but there you have it

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

Author: sum (FL)

Thank you for your time. It is the grey plastic pipe throughout, I have been slowly changing to the red. This spot: I have went red then white then back to red. I guess it's time to learn to solder Thanx again

What is red to white back to red? Is that the color of the pipes?

I assume "grey plastic pipe" is ABS?

I have used sharkbites and john guest fittings for endcaps during rough in, I have experienced problems when I cut the pipe too close to previous soldered joints that results in some non-uniform surface texture, or if I don't clean the cut it may damage the fitting when pushing in.

Reply To This Message

"I assume "grey plastic pipe" is ABS?"

well it depends, electricians use grey pvc pipe and some polybutleyne for water service is grey

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: How to show an image
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms