Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 525,000 Posts in over 155k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions keeping all positive and with no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Intermittent hot water output
Author: wildbill (OH)

I have a 11 year old Sears Survivor WH, 3800 W elements (449 310531 . Lately we (2 people at home) have run it out of hot water several times. no HW leaks anywhere.

Do I have a failing (intermittent) element(s)? Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Bill

Reply To This Message

Re: Intermittent hot water output
Author: ironranger (MN)

I would say you have a failed element. I just changed an element on the same water heater and had to order it from Sears. Regular elements will not fit that heater.

Reply To This Message

Author: redwood (CT)

You would have to take readings with a meter to determine the exact cause of the problem. It could be elements or, thermostats. Maybe even both. I change out both elements and both thermostats when repairing a water heater anyway, just for reliability purposes during the guarantee period. But I do check to see what the reason for not operating properly.

At its age of 11 years it has reached the time at which most water heaters are at the end of their service life. You may want to think about replacing rather than repairing the water heater.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

Elements do not fail intermittently, but if the lower one is burned out, which is a good possibility, you will only have a third of a tank of hot water. The drawing does not show an anode rod so it may not have one. State Water Heaters used to produce Sears heaters and if it does not use the standard 1"IPS thread model, it may need the 1 3/8" one for Duron plastic lined tanks. This one has an attached anode element because the heater does not have a regular one, and is a specialty item which might only be available is select plumbing wholesalers.

Reply To This Message

The Sears Survivor tank is made of plastic (missing anode rod), not needed. The tank has a lifetime warranty and is no where near the end of it's life. The elements have a larger thread than normal. Order a couple of new elements to have on hand, they will go bad. You will also need a larger socket than normal. By the way, these elements are expensive, just changed one.

Reply To This Message

I'm not sure I'm following what you're saying. Elements are going to go bad no matter what kind of heater it is, they will need to be changed.
I thought hj gave good advice, the threads are of different size. Good to know before you start removing the old one.
I don't think mineral build up in an 80 gallon plastic tank will make it start leaking, the lifetime guarantee is for the tank leaking. I have yet to meet a customer that has ever tested his T&P valve and I'm not sure what the point is there.
These elements are 50 bucks each, still cheaper than a new 80 gallon water heater.

Reply To This Message

Yup, the t&p testing is very important. It's one of the handouts I printed out to give away to customers explaining what could happen if one fails. It's pretty rare that they even know what I'm talking about though. I do a once a year ad in the local paper for early winter water heater maintenance as part of our service business. The t&p gets changed instead of just testing it.

Reply To This Message

Author: redwood (CT)

I didn't realize it was a plastic tank model...
We have so many sears water heaters around here...
Can't remember ever seeing one in fact...

Reply To This Message

They are only expensive if you buy them from Sears. Any dealer who handles or handled State water heaters has them. In fact, a customer at the one I frequent bought one because it was less expensive that the regular one, but then found out it would not fit.

Reply To This Message

One thing with those tanks is that the element connection often rusted away so the elements could not be replaced once you removed the original one. That is the reason for the anode block on the element, and a second "O" ring seal so the only metal exposed to water did not rust out.

Reply To This Message

It may be plastic, or it could be a metal tank with a plastic lining, they made them both ways.

Reply To This Message

I've only seen and worked on the solid plastic tanks, the Sears Survivor models. Parts are available for them from the Sears parts department online. Like I said, very expensive.
Rheem also makes something very much the same. Rheem has the "Marathon", it comes in 40, 50, 85 and 105 gallon sizes for residential use. Seamless polybutylene tank, lifetime warranty. If you price one of these models you will find they are also very expensive.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.