Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 No hub rigid coupling can it be in concrete?
Author: sum (FL)

I used a no hub coupling "PROFLEX" (the one with a rubberized sleeve and a rigid metal sleeve outside of that tightened by two screens). The coupling is about two inches below grade and I will be filling back with some concrete.

Is it ok for part of that coupling to be embedded in concrete or I need to tape/wrap it with some plastic sleeves?

Thanks,

Reply To This Message

Re: No hub rigid coupling can it be in concrete?
Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

You could wrap it but as long as it is oil resistant type it should be good for fifty years or so.Good Luck.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

Haven't seen one wrapped, or done it myself, so far.

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

yes

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

"YES", what? Two diametrically opposed questions.

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Sadly enough ,Sum .Sounds like you should have planned where the no hub would end up and not left it as a question.Good Luck.

Reply To This Message

Author: sum (FL)

I did. I cut the CI pipe 6" above grade. I told my plumber I want to have my kitchen sink stub out 13" above the floor. I also told him I like to have the cleanout in the stack above the tee, and use 2" drain all the way to the tee.

He ignored everything I said and put the cleanout below the tee, and used 1-1/2" drain pipe, and ended up about with the stub out 16.5" above the floor.

I then told him this is too high, that the easiest thing to do is to swap the position of the clean out and the tee and all will be solved.

He ignored me again and instead of swapping the fittings, he cut the CI pipe by an additional 4.5", resulting in the CI pipe 1.5" above grade. he did that and found out later. I thanked him and paid him.

I then removed everything he did and did it myself. Did not take me long at all. I only ask him to do it because I had a contract with him and that was part of it. What a hassle.

That is why the CI pipe is 1.5" above grade and the no hub coupling will be partly below grade.

I planned, I just cannot control what others do. Oh well.

Now, I will not tell you about the AC company I hired to replace my air handler after I specifically told them to not cut any lumber in my attic they cut two web members of my truss. I want to choke someone.

Reply To This Message

Author: Nevada Plumber (NV)

You seem to have the worst luck. I'd consider a film crew to document this project. Maybe you could get a reality series deal out of it.

I also wouldn't lose any sleep over concrete around a no hub coupling.

Reply To This Message

Author: steve_g (CA)

You could wrap some 10 mill tape around it quicker than you can read this thread, but it's probably ok without it.

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

if the top of the cut pipe is 1.5" above grade then the no-hub should be .5" above grade so why the worry?

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.