Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 510,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Old Septic System Baffle Repair
Author: mstruttm (FL)

Just had my very old septic system inspected and pumped. Turns out the concrete baffles have rotten and fallen into the tank. It's not really feasible to use PVC tees as new baffles because the tank is so old that it has two clay outlet pipes. I was thinking about building some baffles out of stainless steel similar to the old concrete baffles and fastening them with tapcons to the septic walls. Is this a good idea?

The outlet baffle looked like this \_/ if you were looking from the top down into the septic tank, with the outlet pipe in between the opening. It probably went down about two feet. The inlet baffle seemed to just be a wall that went from one side of the tank to the other, but I'm not sure how far it went down.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Re: Old Septic System Baffle Repair
Author: Dunbar (KY)

Those baffles go to the bottom, and are designed as such to allow the first bay to take on most of the solids, second bay to settle waterborn particulates, third bay to be the finished "clear" effluent that safely distrubutes to the finger system of leaching fields.

I haven't seen John Aldrich "Septic Tank Yank" here in a long time. Anyone know of his whereabouts? His last post was around 318,000 and we're at 383,000 on this thread.

Right about the time I stopped getting emails from him. I hope all is well.

- - - - - -

Always be aware of cross-connections in your potable water systems---They could one day harm you and your loved ones.

Edited 2 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: PBwrencher (WI)

Tank Yank would be the best source for this question however; from my limited experience this person is looking at replacing that old thing, you could image what the rest it of looks like, it's lived it's life and now a new one is needed.:)

10-22-08, 8:18am

- - - - - - -

A bath a day will keep you healthy in every way.

Safe plumbing brings life and health giving water into our homes, businesses, hospitals and takes away death and disease causing waste.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj

The outlet baffle is to prevent grease, etc., on top of the water from exiting through the outlet. The inlet baffle goes down to a point a foor or so above the floor to give the influent time to separate.

Reply To This Message

I understand that the system is very old and will need replacing, but it is still functioning and I would like to get as much life out of it as possible. Now isn't the best time to be forking out $5,000-$10,000.

After the tank was pumped, I could see the outlet baffle at the bottom of the tank and it definately was not long enough to go all the way to the bottom. The pump guy said it only runs down a couple of feet. He told me I shouldn't really be concerned with the inlet baffle and it was the outlet baffle that was important. I'm just thinking something will be better than nothing so I can get some more life out of the system.

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

this isnt a car. i have never heard of anyone repairing a septic tank.

i have found it is much better to bite the bullet now than it is to wait. waiting almost always means a larger bill in the end.

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: yonson (NJ)

My septic guy told me the same thing when my exit collapsed (the exit is most important). He placed a "t" type port at the exit, but mine was PVC. An easy fix.

:cheers:

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Do you have a scrap or 12" diameter pvc pipe ,two feet long?cut it in half use half at each end tapcon it with the top, at the top of the inlet hole and the outlet four inches or so higher than that.Old culvert pipe .Dead propane cylinder.If you use metal it may decay faster but should give you five years to save up.Good Luck with any rig.You need a new tank.

Reply To This Message

Ok, I know the tank needs replacing, but it's not going to hurt by rigging it to last a little longer since the entire system will need to be replaced anyway. I am not doing any more damage by not replacing it now.

So, the 12" PVC sounds like the best idea yet.

Reply To This Message

"There is nothing so permanent then something so temporary.":)

The plumber I served my apprenticeship under would say that when we were called in to make the correct repair after a handyman or homeowner only did a temporary fix that would last sometimes for years.:think:

Be honest, it will never get fixed until the system completely craps out.:think2:

10-23-08, 7:18am

- - - - - - -

Safe plumbing brings life and health giving water into our homes, businesses, hospitals and takes away death and disease causing waste.

Reply To This Message

Author: yonson (NJ)

"it will never get fixed until the system completely craps out"

Pun intended???

:clap:

Reply To This Message

I also plan on constructing new concrete lids. Is this ok to do with quickrete conrete mix and rebar? I want to make sure that there is no danger of the lids breaking, which there is with the current lids.

Reply To This Message

Author: hi (TX)

Hello,
You may still be helped..

The exit T and the baffle are placed to keep solids and greases out of the leach field which will plug the pores and render the leach field inoperative and result in effluent finding its way to the surface.

You have a two chamber tank that has made itself a one chamber tank with the collapse of the baffle wall. This is not an infrequent finding during septic inspections done properly.

Your best (most effective and cost effective) fix is to place a PVC Tee on the outlet to the box. This keeps the floating solids out of the field. It needs to be fit solidly and leak free to be effective and long lasting.
If possible also place an inlet T to force "incoming" waste to go to the bottom rather than float across to the exit of the tank.

If the repair exposes the exit of the tank you may also want to include an effluent filter to trap solids before they go to the field. This is a newer design that further reduces material that can plug up the leach field.

Be careful with the tanks as they can collapse and may not have enough oxygen to support life inside! Safety is Most important!!

Here is a article discussing your exact question. The website contains a "wealth" of septic info..

[www.inspect-ny.com]

Here is another (scroll about 3/4 way down and see the part about the baffle deterioration and repair...)
[www.ces.purdue.edu]

Reply To This Message

I mentioned in my first post that using tees is not feasible at the outlet due to there being two clay outlet pipes. I guess I could try to use two tees, but how would I secure them to the clay pipes?

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

You might be better off wrapping the old ones ,with rewire making the joint on top then adding a 2" layer of topping mix.Good Luck.Unless you intend to pour the lid's six or more inches thick ,smaller stone or sand type should be used.

Reply To This Message

Don't you have plumbing codes in Florida where the concrete tank and top must be made of Monolithic Concrete and must have the strength of 2000lbs per sq inch or more so it does not cave in on a poor sole years from now:?:

10-25-08, 8:20am

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

Author: redwood (CT)

Things are a tad bit lax in Florida IMHO

Reply To This Message

Quickrete says it is 4000 psi.

Reply To This Message

Author: rca411 (OK)

Can't you just dig it up some behind the tank, then stub PVC back into the septic tank and glue on a sanitary tee for a new baffle?

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: How to show an image
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms