Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 removing pvc glue from skin
Author: Vern H

Greetings from soggy Chicago! LOTS of rain here and more on the way. I needed to rig something up and went to Ace hardware for pvc fittings and glue. The glue I got is different, it's colored a dark gray instead of the usual clear. It worked just fine but I have residue on my hands. Is there any way to get this stuff off?

Thanks!

Reply To This Message

Re: removing pvc glue from skin
Author: redwood (CT)

Ummm Is this glue rated for PVC Schedule 40 plumbing applications?

Reply To This Message

It is absolutely rated for pvc, both schedule 40 and schedule 80. I tried to find a link, no luck. It says "heavy Duty cement medium Body gray". Next to that, it says "for joining pvc pipe and fittings up to 8' diameter. Schedule 40 and 80. It smells just as bad as the clear stuff but the gray color threw me off.

Thanks!

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

It is PVC cement, but it is very thick and sometimes a tight joint will wipe it off when you put it together. Let it dry and peel it off.

Reply To This Message

Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

i wear latex gloves under my work gloves....the glue/cleaner causes liver cancer.....10cents a day gives my liver alittle more time.

we all still inhale it in out lungs which goes to the liver i believe anyways...

any i get on my skin i just peel off

Reply To This Message

Author: sozoal (CA)

ditto on the gloves, peel off heavy glue, soap hot water and a nail brush gets the rest

Reply To This Message

Peeling is the way to go!

I very much appreciate all who take the time to reply, you guys are the best!

Reply To This Message

Author: PlumberManDan (IA)

Take a nice long warm shower, once the water and the soap hits the leftovers they will peel right off.

PlumbCat TM 2003

Plumbermandan

Reply To This Message

the glue/cleaner causes liver cancer.....10cents a day gives my liver alittle more time.

Where in the Medical Journal is that little tidbit found?

Reply To This Message

Maybe you need to look at a MSDS Sheet and figure out how to read them. As a business owner you have to keep on file MSDS Sheets for every chemical that you use... Not too bad if you are a one man show, after all who's going to file an OSHA complaint, but, when you have employees very important. You also have to train them on how to read the MSDS Sheets so they can know the hazards of their job...

Did you know that every truck out on the road should have a file with MSDS Sheets for all chemicals and materials stored and used on the truck, or, jobs. It's an OSHA gig not to have them. Also if you have an exposure to a chemical or material that injures you, first aid responders and medical personel will want that information to provide data for your treatment. How fast do you want that data available to them?

Let's take a look at section 6 from the purple PVC primer MSDS sheet linked below...

"Section 6 - Health Hazard Data

Routes of Entry:
Inhalation YES/Primary Skin YES/Primary Ingestion YES/Secondary

Health Hazards:
Corrosive to eyes and skin irritant. Severe overexposure can cause headache, dizziness and narcosis. May
cause dermatosis and dermatitis with prolonged repeated contact.

Carcinogenicity: NTP NO IARC NO OSHA Regulated NO

Signs And Symptoms of Exposure:
INGESTION: No effects expected. INHALATION: Will cause irritation of mucous membranes, nose, eyes, & throat;
coughing, difficulty of breathing. Exposure to high vapor concentration may cause headache, dizziness, nausea,
narcosis. SKIN CONTACT: Prolonged skin contact causes common solvent defatting effect. EYE CONTACT:
Vapors slightly uncomfortable. Splashes irritating. Will cause painful burning or stinging of eyes & lids, watering of
eyes and conjunctiva.

Medical Conditions Generally Aggravated By Exposure:
No data found

Emergency And First Aid Procedures:
INGESTION: DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. If conscious, dilute by giving 2 glasses of water. Call a physician
immediately. INHALATION: Remove to fresh air. If not breathing, give artificial respiration, preferably mouth-tomouth
resuscitation. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Call a physician. SKIN CONTACT: Wash affected area
with soapy water. Remove contaminated clothing. EYE CONTACT: Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for
15 minutes. Consult a physician."

Looking in this section under "Carcinogenicity" you see...

"Carcinogenicity: NTP NO IARC NO OSHA Regulated NO"

This means that the product is not known to cause cancer.

[www.herchem.com]
[www.herchem.com]

Of course this would only apply to the material I listed and the MSDS for the materials you use should be looked up as chemical formulations between manufacturers and their different products will vary.

Edited 4 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: mjb1962853 (NY)

Pretty much every MSDS says the same thing about these plastic solvents and possible liver damage. Cancer is not confirmed in humans, but of course the "California Proposition 65" must be included when even 1 carcinogenic atom is present.

[www.oatey.com]

Once the glue dries to the skin, some of the bad stuff has already been absorbed. Gloves are a cheap safety investment for someone (like a plumber) who is likely to get repeated long term exposure.

Reply To This Message

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

The discovery process is something we learn each day. As new dangers are discovered and logged, we learn.

For example, lead. Who would have known years ago the effects on one's body with the continue use of lead. Leaded joints go back before I was born, but it wasn't until the last 25 years that we discovered how dangerous the fumes were to our bodies. Worst yet when injested. Today, we know of several retired plumbers with lung problems directly related to lead fumes and the handling of lead.

Granted there are so many other elements that a typical plumber comes into contact with on a daily basis that is equally as dangerous.

I have heard of a study that goes back 10 years relevent to the effects of solvent fumes in an enclosed area over the long term. The results of that study may have not yet been released yet, however, I understand that some parts of the study have revealed that pvc solvent fumes could be more harmful to the body... then lead. Ofcourse, much of this is only speculation until the facts are offically released to the public.

The future should be interesting, if not, informative. Always a word of percaution. When handling any chemical, treat it with all due respect.

Best Wishes

Reply To This Message

The effects of lead have been known for a lot more than 25 years. Even in the 50's we knew not to breath the fumes from the lead pot. As for lead in solder, anyone who has ever disected a solder joint knows that there is only an tiny bit of solder exposed to water assuming the joint was made correctly and there is even that small circle at the end of the copper, and even that little bit is quickly covered by a patina. If the lead in brass fittings were dissolving like the "experts" claim the valves would be failing left and right with pin holes in them.

Reply To This Message

Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

you dont have to look up 'liver cancer' on the msds sheets when the primer/glue CAN says 'causes liver cancer'

havent read the glue/primer cans in 9 years, but ive read it there when i was an apprentice

Reply To This Message

You might want to read again.
Formulations change and so do the hazards.

Reply To This Message

Author: mjb1962853 (NY)

A little off topic, but the effects of lead poisoning have been known for over 2000 years

[www.epa.gov]

and... a SWEET way to go (not really!)

[chemistry.about.com] :S

Reply To This Message

Author: rbaxter (Non-US)

Every manufacturer will have a different formula. Always read them.

SKIN CONTACT: Prolonged skin contact causes common solvent defatting effect.

If I could figure out how to peal it off and leave the hair I would apply it to my belly avery day!

Reply To This Message

Why not. It would be cheaper than waxing. And you might get a neat bikini line.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: nwplumber (WA)

Rbaxter, do you plumb without a shirt? I beleive that is an untapped market here in the U.S. I may have a new business venture. Unless the Desperate Houswives thing is over and done with.

Reply To This Message

Let's see now. One person says it is a weight loss aide, and the other says it gives you liver cancer. I would call that a mixed blessing and you have to decide whether you want to be Reubenesque or dead.

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

cancer can cause weight loss

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

I'll keep the "Buddha Belly" thanks!:laugh:

Reply To This Message

Yes, but you will not see any TV commercials promoting losing weight that way.

Reply To This Message

Author: birddoggiest (ID)

I am not huffing, I just like the way the primer smells.

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

i like the way it feels on teh crotch while sweating to death in the summerX(

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.