Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 reaming pipes
Author: bernie (CO)

just wondering how many of you all ream your copper and black pipes during installation

Reply To This Message

Re: reaming pipes
Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

never have

your supposed to though to get the 50 year copper warranty

out of 25-30 plumbers ive worked with i saw 1 do it...he was fired for being too slow

Reply To This Message

Author: redwood (CT)

You own a Ridgid 1215 with a reamer mounted right on the carriage and you don't use it? :think2:

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: birddoggiest (ID)

I ream every piece (unless I forget)! I don't want to be the fastest just the best! I saw two guys get fired for not reaming. I am still working on the best thing and I will let you know when I am close.

Reply To This Message

Author: kingsotall (AZ)

Was told that it is imperative to ream when assembling the boiler in a mechanical room set-up. Go with the flow!

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

wait till you have a couple thousand feet of pipe installed and the inspector catches you not reeming your pipe and makes you rip it all out

i bet you'll start reeming it then

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: steve_g (CA)

I'm like birddoggiest - I ream every single cut.

Reply To This Message

Author: davefoc (CA)

Is there any test data available that provides data about the service life of reamed and unreamed copper pipes?

Cutting pipe with a saw almost eliminates the internal ridge caused by a pipe cutter but it can require a little filing to clean up the pipe after it's been cut with a saw or a grinder. Are there any issues with using a saw to cut the pipe?

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

here, this should answer most if not all your questions

[www.copper.org]

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

so, how does all of this effect pex with insert fittings?

Reply To This Message

I assumed that the water circulating, especially in hydronic heating situations, increased the wear and tear on copper but PEX when used with EP (engineered plastic) fittings nearly eliminates that.

Reply To This Message

It doesn't eliminate the turbulence but plastic doesn't erode from it like metals do.

Reply To This Message

Turbulence, there you go. That's the word I was looking for. :nerd:

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

plastic fittings have to be thicker than copper ones so the velocity has to increase as it passes through them increasing turbulence and resistance.

Reply To This Message

But plastic being a soft resilient material doesn'r erode.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

Correct, it just snaps off when stressed.

Reply To This Message

Yup! There probably is no perfect material...
Personally I like that!
My lifestyle would suffer if perfect materials were used! :laugh:

Reply To This Message

Author: birddoggiest (ID)

I think steel would be more resiliant to turbulance than anything.

Reply To This Message

Author: nhmaster3015 (NH)

IPC requires the pipe to be reamed.

Reply To This Message

"I think steel would be more resiliant to turbulance than anything."

No its not...
In fact Water Jets are capable of cutting many industrial materials including stainless steel, Inconel, titanium, aluminium, tool steel, ceramics, granite, and armor plate.[science.howstuffworks.com]

A few years back I was out fishing with a friend of mine on a very unique custom built sportfishing boat 60'+... 60 MPH + and we lost a prop. The broken shaft was sent out for analysis to find the reason for failure. The shaft was some fancy expensive alloy that was just right for the application but the lab determined that at the failure point there was cavitation erosion that weakened the shaft at that point causing failure. A different shape had to be machined in that area and the prop shaft failures went away.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: jeff50316 (IA)

i install fire sprinklers and i ream every pipe i cut. I don't think it really helps the life of the pipe at all for black pipe any way. I was told it is more for the flow.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Toilet Repair Information
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms