Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 510,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Glacier Bay Toilet is running
Author: KarrieHolderness (NC)

I have a toliet that is running and I cant figure out how to stop it. the tank if full and the water is running over into the tank fill tube. But the toliet keeps running.

The mechanics to this toliet look differnt from what I have found for self help guides online to fix a running toliet, which are listed below for two types of toilets.

1.Pinch this clip to adjust the float height.If the float is around the valve post, pinch the metal clip and slide the float down on the wire.

2.If the float is a ball on an arm, try turning the small screws on top of the valve. Sometimes, you can also bend the arm further down. On this style valve, tighten (clockwise) the blue screw or try bending the rod down.

Neither of these two are the kind of mechanics inside my Glacier Bay toliet. PLEASE HELP, WATER IS IN SHORTAGE HERE!

Thank you

Reply To This Message

Re: Glacier Bay Toilet is running
Author: hj

There are several different kinds of valve besides the two you cite. We would need a picture of the one you have because Glacier Bay is not a common toilet in many areas.

Reply To This Message

How would I get a picture to you?

Reply To This Message

Take the picture and then scroll down in your posting screen. There are directions for inserting the picture at the bottom.

Reply To This Message

Reply To This Message

Reply To This Message

rotate the screw/rod counterclockwise to lower the water level.

Reply To This Message

How low should i rotate it?

Reply To This Message

Fingers or a screwdriver in the cross slots on the top.

Reply To This Message

Are you talking about turning the white plastic thing with the threads on it?

Reply To This Message

If that is the piece you are talking bout I turned it counterclockwise about as far as it will go still being threaded onto the black thing that is on the bottom of it

Reply To This Message

IF you could turn it then it should have lowered the water level, unless the valve is defective. There is another adjustment to lower the entire top section, but I don't know how to tell you how to do it so you would do it properly. And since it is an old valve it might not work anyway without starting a leak. In fact, your problem may be caused by a broken valve, not because it is just out of adjustment.

Reply To This Message

Should i just turn the water off to it and re route bathroom traffic to a differnt bathroom?

Reply To This Message

Author: e-plumber (NY)

Replace the fill valve with a Fluidmaster model 400-A.
For the time being, shut off the stop valve under the toilet.

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -
John William Gardner 10/8/1912 - 2/16/2002

Repair your leaking Plumbing fixtures ASAP [www.theplumber.com]
This slow drip will waste 7+ gallons of water per day.

Reply To This Message

Is that easy to replace, or something I have to hire a plumber to do?

Reply To This Message

Author: redwood (CT)

Karrie,
The white lever with the screw, lift up on it and see if it stops the water flow. If it does it can be adjusted. If it doesn't replacement is needed.

To replace get a Fluidmaster 400A Fill Valve, and a Braided Stainless Steel Closet Supply Hose that is long enough to reach from the angle stop valve to the bottom of the fill valve. Sometimes due to the spacing of these a hose will end up kinking in that case a longer one can be looped around without kinking.

Shut the stop valve under the tank on the left side off and verify that it has indeed shutoff.

Flush the toilet holding the lever until the tank drains down.

There is still water left behind I usually catch it in a bucket underneath when I do one but you may want to sop the tank dry with a sponge and bucket.

Using a pair of Channel Lock Pliers take the closet supply off the fill valve and use a small adjustable wrench to take it off the angle stop valve. You will get a small amount of water when you do this.

Then remove the nut on the bottom of the fill valve, and remove it.

Follow the instructions for the new fill valve to set the height and reinstall everything in the reverse order.

Its a pretty easy task and all you need is a pair of channel lock pliers and a small adjustable wrench.

We're here if you have any problems.

Reply To This Message

Author: jerco (MD)

It's just about the easiest thing to do in plumbing, except maybe replacing an aerator on a faucet. We'll help you through it.

Reply To This Message

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

Generally, when the tank is running like you describe, it is because the fill valve has failed. You can try the adustments mentioned, and the worst you will do is waste few minutes. Those adjustments are done at installation, and rarely need to be readjusted.

As far as Home Depot is concerned, the Glacier Bay is a disposable toilet. It is so cheap, they are not going to tie up any real estate with part. But, the Fluidmaste 400A should fit right in.

Reply To This Message

Glacier Bay = Chinese Junk!

Your Fluidmaster installation just made the toilet a lot better!:laugh:

While your playing with the toilet might as well put an new flapper in as well. A Korky P/N 16BP will finish out this upgrade and have it better than when it was new. Flappers deteriorate over time due to Chlorine/Chloramines in the water. The Korky I listed is resistant to those and should be good for about 5 years. A leaking flapper can waste 100's of gallons of water a day. $7 is cheap insurance!

Reply To This Message

Thank you for all your help, and as soon as I have a day off (Active duty Army and single mother of two girls) I will try and fix it and let you all know if it works.

Thank you!

Karrie

Reply To This Message

Is this what I need?

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

the flush valve makes it a little more complicated and usually does not need to be replaced

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

I would just get the fill valve and then a Korky flapper. I do not like the Fluidmaster flapper, and you do not need the rest of the stuff.

Reply To This Message

Yea I agree with the others...

All you want is the:
Fluidmaster 400A Fill Valve
Korky P/N 16B Flapper
Braided Stainless Steel Closet Supply

With the Fluidmaster 400A you do not want the "Leak Sentry" version.
With the Closet Supply you do not want the "Watts Flood Safe" version.
Both of these items are trouble prone and Big box stores like to push this junk!

Reply To This Message

Author: DIYByNite (DC)

I just had the same problem. A fix, although it might turn out to be temporary if the valve design is faulty, is to a) remove the black cap (it snaps off), b) remove (pull up on it) a red plastic "key" that is inserted in the top of the valve assembly, c) twist the top of the valve assembly (the part with the lever attached) counter clockwise (I had to use a pair of channel locks, and I thought I might break the plastic, but it didn't) about 3/8" until it can be lifted out, d) use a paper towel to wipe off the black plastic diaphragm inside the value head, and remove any dirt that may have accumulated. Re-assemble in reverse order. It takes less than 5" once you've figured it out.

It looks as if just a little dirt or contaminants on the diaphragm can cause it to fail to seat properly, and mine was running at full flow. I'll now be listening each time after a flush to be sure the toilet shuts off: the next time, I'll just replace the entire valve assembly with something that is hopefully more reliable, rather than worry about it.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: How to show an image
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms