Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 525,000 Posts in over 155k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions keeping all positive and with no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 washing machine venting/stand pipe asembly
Author: CRASH72 (NY)

Where could I find a step by step instructions / diagram of the proper size and asembly for a vent and stand pipe for washer with no venting to roof. I have 1 1/2 pvc piping, 3 way tee, p trap, air admittance valve.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Re: washing machine venting/stand pipe asembly
Author: jimmy-o (CA)

Most places require 2" for WM drain. 1½ ok for vent. Air admittance valve not allowed many areas.

Reply To This Message

Author: BigReg1500 (CT)

Sounds like you're gonna need a floor mop, also. Washing machines need a 2" drain because of the high volume discharged. 1.5" might give you problems.

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

we aren't required to use 2" in mass. 1 1/2" seems to work fine for us.
we, however, can not use AAV's.
since AAV's only let air in, there would be a problem with a high volume entering the pipe. it would create a back pressure and without a proper vent to the atmosphere there would be no where for it to go. it would back out the standpipe.

Reply To This Message

I lived in this house for 5 years and found that the washer only had a 1 1/2 pvc pipe with a s trap coming through the floor to the washing machine with no vent, to this date never had an overflow or drain issue. I was told to to either put the p trap above the floor with a air admittance valve on the vent side of the line or i could put the p trap in the basement because that is the only location to tie into the only house main vent pipe to be below vent pipe. All your comments and recommendations are greatly appreciated...Please help

Reply To This Message

Author: PlumberManDan (IA)

Author: CRASH72 (NY)
I lived in this house for 5 years and found that the washer only had a 1 1/2 pvc pipe with a s trap coming through the floor to the washing machine with no vent, to this date never had an overflow or drain issue. I was told to to either put the p trap above the floor with a air admittance valve on the vent side of the line or i could put the p trap in the basement because that is the only location to tie into the only house main vent pipe to be below vent pipe.

1. Who told you to put a P-Trap above the floor?
2. Who told you to use an AAV?
3. Have you recently changed washers without a drain problem?
4. Are you planning on buying a new top load washer in the future?
5. Is there a future vent close to the main stack?
6. Are you currently having a problem?

Just a few of the questions that need to be answered before we could actually tell you step by step instructions.

Short Version: If you are not having problems and the Local Inspection Officials did not tell you to change it, why worry about it at least in the SHORT TERM

PlumbCat TM 2003

Plumbermandan

Reply To This Message

answers to above reply- washing machine venting/stand pipe asembly

Below please find answers to the above reply:

1. I was informed by a member on this forum and a licensed plumber at home depot to remove the p trap below the floor for the washer drain an put one above the floor in the bathroom.

2. Same as above.

3. no washer was changed, I replaced the toilet and bathroom sink.

4. The washer is about 8 years old, when it dies I'll replace it.

5. The only vent is a pvc stack it's located below the basement floor and goes outside along the back of the house next to the chimeny.

6. I have been in the past getting a little odor in the bathroom.

Is the p trap below the floor for the washer drain ok or do you recommend removing it. Should I also remove the p trap in the basement for the bathroom sink due to a p trap is also located in the sink vanity. All help is grately appreciated.

Reply To This Message

Re: answers to above reply- washing machine venting/stand pipe asembly
Author: PlumberManDan (IA)

From my experience the ONLY licensed plumbers at HD are ones that can not keep a job or are ones that have had a business in the past and could not make it work.......
Very few posters here would tell you to use a AAV, Most really hate them, (Handyman FIX).........
Wash machine trap ABOVE the floor is Preferable.......
You may have a branch line serving the washer that is partially occluded......
Best bet Call a REAL licensed plumber that has been in business ans is still in business, Have them come out and evaluate the situation and advise you of the CORRECT Fix for your situation.

PlumbCat TM 2003

Plumbermandan

Reply To This Message

Re: answers to above reply- washing machine venting/stand pipe asembly
Author: redwood (CT)

"From my experience the ONLY licensed plumbers at HD are ones that can not keep a job or are ones that have had a business in the past and could not make it work......."

I ressemble your remark...:disappointed:

:laugh:

Reply To This Message

Re: answers to above reply- washing machine venting/stand pipe Assembly
Author: enforcer (NY)

Is it OK to place a p trap below the floor, If so the drain line that the bottom of the p trap would connect into house is the house drain line which is connected to the house exterior vent stack.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.