Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 home center vs. plumbing supply
Author: tsdmyers (NJ)

I have heard it said that buying faucets, cabinets, hardware, etc. at a home center does not give you the same quality as buying the same brand from a design store or plumbing supply store. I've been told the parts inside will be plastic or otherwise of lower quality at a Home Depot or Lowes. Is there any truth to this? We are looking to remodel a bath and having just done the kitchen, we would love to save a bit of money by purchasing through a home center rather than a showroom.

Reply To This Message

Re: home center vs. plumbing supply
Author: jblanche (WI)

I have gotten two quotes for Delta and American Standard from Home Depot on special orders of item numbers specified from the manufacturer catalogs. They were just a few dollars cheaper than the plumbing showroom, and once I figured in the hassle of special ordering from Big Orange, I went with a showroom the first time and a web source the second time.

In other words, I don't know how stocked items compare, but for special orders it wasn't worth the savings. And I believe in getting bids on all commodities.

Links to the State of Wisconsin Plumbing Code:
[docs.legis.wisconsin.gov]
I am not a plumber.

Reply To This Message

Author: redwood (CT)

Straight from the mouth of Moen...[www.moen.com]

"Do all Moen products consist of one standard of quality regardless of whether the distributor is a retail or wholesale supplier?
Moen's production line does not differentiate between wholesale and retail models. There is only one grade of brass, only one grade of cartridge and only one grade of warranty coverage - the best. While the numbering system for Moen's wholesale distributors and retail distributors may vary and subtle installation and trim differences may exist (these may include, but are not limited too, packaging, threaded or slip-fit style tub spouts and metallic or non-metallic drain assemblies). The quality and limited lifetime warranty against leaks, drips, materials, and workmanship remain the same for all of our products."

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

basically the main product will be of the same quality but the trim and other accessories that come with it will be of lesser quality at the big box stores. ie. plastic drain assemblies vs. brass

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

kitchen faucets should be the same....its the lav drain assembly's which are cheap from HD

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

That is why the home center prices are lower. They are not altruistic and going to give you higher quality at a lower price.

Reply To This Message

Author: birddoggiest (ID)

It should be fine from HD. I wouldn't get anything special order, but if standard fixtures are what you are after they should be fine.

Reply To This Message

as long as all the parts are in the box, which is not always the case.

Reply To This Message

Author: e-plumber (NY)

Why take a chance?
How much more can a Plumbing supply house charge for the same type items that the big box stores sell?
I've had a few bad experiences with fixtures supplied by owners who tried to save a few bucks, more so
than the same type items purchased from a Plumbing wholesaler.

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -
John William Gardner 10/8/1912 - 2/16/2002

Repair your leaking Plumbing fixtures ASAP [www.theplumber.com]
This slow drip will waste 7+ gallons of water per day.

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

i really havent had any more problems one way or the other. i bought a shower valve from a plumbing supply and am waiting on a new cartridge as we speak (kohler no less)

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

You may not believe this, but some consumers will buy a new faucet for parts. Take it home and remove the parts they need and return the box with the old parts in a new body. They get full refund and you may get the shaft... or the stem.

If you get a deal off the rack at home supply, make sure that all the parts are in the box before you leave. Warranty will cover most all other problems.

Best Wishes

Reply To This Message

Author: Big Blue (VA)

I am not familiar with moen, but I do know for a fact that Delta sells a retail line and a wholesale line. Most of the time the faucets do not come with pop-up assemblies, and if they do they are plastic. At a plumbing supply house they always come with it and they are metal. It is a better quality faucet at the plumbing supply house.

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Could you try buying backwards for me.Get the product numbers from the local supply house.Now order those exact numbers from the big box.If the numbers on the box are the same the price is no object.Good Luck.If my supply house gets it for my job,They are going to get me replacements for free in a timely fashion. Add 10% for every digit thats different.Now your saving time and money.

Reply To This Message

Author: Big Blue (VA)

The big box stores can't get the faucets with the same part numbers as the supply houses. It is a different line.

Reply To This Message

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

I think there is no one straight answer to this question.

Some examples:

American Standard packages some of their faucets under a different model name, for the discount stores. There may be very slight differences in trim, etc. Basic unit is the same.

Delta still packages complete shower valve sets...rough valve + trim for sale in home stores. Plumbing supply houses are more likely to stock the rough valve separately from the trim.

Kohler....who knows.

Price Pfister has a new faucet line called Pfirst. It is a trade line, not found in the home stores, and is designed as a low price point line.

etc.

Most home stores sell shower valves with threaded water connections, where plumbing supply is more likely to carry sweat.

The average home depot store does about $650,000 per week. Larger stores do between $1 and $2 million. That's a lot of stuff, and if it were all so bad, they would not stay in business.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

So far I have NEVER had the problems I see with HD and Lowes items, from a plumbing wholesaler. The items you get from HD and Lowes, may be the same as the ones the wholesaler gets, but from the defects I have seen, they never met up with a final inspector. They assume the customer will be the final inspector and either live with the defect or take it out and return it.

Reply To This Message

Same way with appliance stores that advertise they will meet the price and beat it by 10% on the same items, but they never have exactly the same model number as the store next door. I have had Kohler toilets that were completely useless and should never have left the factory if they even had a cursory test or inspection. I once had a Price Pfister faucet that the lock nut thread pitch changed about half way up the faucet body, so the nut could not go any further than that. Fluroescent bulbs that the end caps come off when you slide them out of the cardboard sleeve. A vanity cabinet without the facing trim board below the countertop. A medicine cabinet with shelf clips but no holes to insert them. Should I go on? NONE of these defects were obvious until the item was installed and it had to be removed in order to replace it.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995 The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.