Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Black slime in drain pipe
Author: fireguy

After living here for 30 years, The drains in my 113 year old house are running slow. It is a 2 story house, bath upstairs, kitchen 1st floor and bathroom 1st floor. I have used an enzyme product that works very well on commercial kitchen roofs and the grease that accumulates around exhaust fans. The sink in the upstairs bath is running better now, but the kitchen sink is still slow. Today's project was to replace the 1.25" drain in the first floor bath. I had to remove the 1.5" chrome pipe that goes into the wall. There is very little slope, and after removing hte 1.5" bushing,I found the pipe almost plugged with black slime. What is it and how do I get rid of it? I cannot find my small snake, so I poked around with a screwdriver and removed some of the slime. The drain pipe goes into the wall and immediatly makes a 90° bend, goes horizontally, then drops into the celler and into the cast iron soil pipe.

Suggestions are welcome. Don't suggest Drano. If I was going to use Sodium Hydroxide, I would use some of the 99% beads I have.

Reply To This Message

Re: Black slime in drain pipe
Author: eman123 (MO)

you probally have galvanized pipe for your drain arms and really the best thing you can do is to replace it all the way to the stack because all you have in your pipe is years of build up in there . it is so common to have what you have in older homes like yours . good luck and remember your local plumber is only a phone call away .

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

that slime is tooth paste, make up, soap and everything else you use over the sink. you really need a snake to clean the line properly but cleaning what you did with the screw driver and using the enzyme cleaner might help.

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: redwood (CT)

I concurr 100% with DLH!

Reply To This Message

Author: fireguy

Thanks for the replies, even though it was not what I wanted to hear. I will try the enzyme in that sink. If I have to, I will repipe in plastic. If I use galvanized, I will have to resize my dies for galvanized and am too lazy for that.

Reply To This Message

you dont want to use galvy pipe anyway

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Have you considered water jetting the black sewer grease down the line?
Much depends on the integrity of your waste pipe, galv or not. A jetter uses hot water and air pressure to clear and clean the interior side of your waste pipe, all the way to the street.
Once the pipe is clear and clean you can inspect then determine if the drains require replacing. If the galv pipe is still good, you can plan on a future date for upgrading those waste lines.

This is merely an option to consider.
Best Wishes

Reply To This Message

shouldnt haveve grease in a lav drain

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

Author: mjb1962853 (NY)

If all your problems are only soft black goo, just properly snake or jet the drains to clean them out. Use the enzyme to try to keep them clear.

If the pipes are blocked with rock-hard deposits or are corroded to the point of failing, THEN replacement should be considered.

Unless your local code demands metal drain pipes, why use galvanized? A properly plumbed PVC (or CI if metal is required) drain system should far outlast a galv system.

Good luck.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.