Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 510,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 vent for sump pump discharge
Author: ScottT (OH)

My sump pump drainage system was not set up correctly. The 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe runs outside the house, into the ground, and is connected to the storm sewer. I understand it is supposed to drain into a larger pipe (3 or 4 inches) which would allow an air space and more room.

Since there is no air venting in the system, every time the pump operates, an airlock or vacuum is created when the water tries to escape to the street. This results in terribly loud noises around my pump as the system is gasping for air to fill the vacuum.

Some plumbers have suggested that I replace the 1 1/2 inch pipe outside my house with the larger 3 or 4 inch pipe. This involves excavation and much expense. I am looking for a cheaper solution.

Everything about the 1 1/2 inch pipe I have works, except for the vacuum that is created. I am looking for a product or idea that will allow all the water to get through the pipes, and then allow for air to get in when the pump stops to break the vacuum. Is there such a product or quick fix for this problem?

Reply To This Message

Re: vent for sump pump discharge
Author: e-plumber (NY)

I don't know if this is your problem but is there a small hole drilled into the sump pump discharge line, right above the pump? Some pumps that have check valves installed require it.

If that's not your problem, I'd say maybe you have a defective or inadequate sump pump for the job.

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -
John William Gardner 10/8/1912 - 2/16/2002

Repair your leaking Plumbing fixtures ASAP [www.theplumber.com]
This slow drip will waste 7+ gallons of water per day.

Reply To This Message

Author: JOE (PA)

You could drill a small hole (1/8" to 3/16";) at the top of the elbow that turns to the ground outside of the house this will give you an air vent. I have done this and no water escapes.

You could also place a "T/"Y" in the line and reduce the top leg to 1/2" and extend a pipe up a foot that would vent the line.

You could place a "T/"Y" and place a check valve on the top leg this would allow air in but stop water if the line clogs. This is like an air admittance valve.

I am not sure that the last one would not have problems with freezing.

Edited 2 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: ScottT (OH)

My sump pump is brand new and functioning properly. The only problem is the loud noise that happens after the pump has completed its cycle. The noise is happens because the water outside my house is heading to the sewer, but there is no vent for air to get into the line as the water leaves.

I have multiple check valves in the system, and part of the problem is that the check valves are vibrating because of the need for air to get into the system to replace the water as it leaves.

I don't have a "small hole" in the plumbing. It seems if there was a hole, water would come blasting out of it each time the pump operates. Can you please explain where the hole is supposed to be and what would prevent water from spraying out the hold whenever the pump is on?

Thanks!

Reply To This Message

Author: redwood (CT)

I believe what you are saying is once the pump sends water out the line that after the pump shuts of the water continues to siphon. The water siphoning makes noise as it draws in air from the hole E-plumber described and or, as it drains the pit dry. Is that the case?

You may be in a situation with your outlet being low enough where you could set up a gravity drain ending your need for a pump. To do so would require a trench from your basement sup to the storm sewer to lay pipe but you would end up with the most reliable basement drain possible.

Reply To This Message

You put the small hole in to vent it. You place the hole outside of the house where the elbow that turns the pipe to the ground. There is not much pressure if the line is clear. No water comes out of mine but it does empty into a larger pipe. If the line becomes blocked then there would be pressure but without the hole there would be nowhere for the water to go anyway. So if you aim the hole away from the house you will have an emergency bypass if the pipe clogs. I do not see why the pipe would clog since it is relatively clean water.

You wanted cheap a hole is cheap. If you do not like the results just replace the fitting of plug the hole.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj

The only way your description makes sense is if the outlet at the street is lower than the pump in the house creating a siphon. If so, then a vacuum vent, which is a fitting not a pipe, at the top of the discharge pipe will stop the action.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

i would go with joe's third idea.cut in a tee out side and install a check valve .it would relieve vacuum after pump shuts down.good luck.this check valve could be as small as 1/2 inch spring loaded type.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: CraigV (PA)

How would a second check valve outside be any different than the check valve immediately after the pump? Either would open to admit air if subjected to vacuum.

I wonder if he's using a sealed ejector lid instead of an 'open' sump lid. If the sump is sealed off, the description he gave of the noise coming from the pump area and the check valve possibly making noise would make sense. The sump contains the largest volume of air in the system and the check valve is responding to the water column attempting to suck that air out of the sump, and the valve would probably oscillate.

Reply To This Message

The check valve would be on the vent line to allow air in when the vacuum occurs and seal when the water is flowing out.

Reply To This Message

Joe do you mean a check valve or an AAV? If the former, it would have to be installed upside-down, and especially outside, it's a sure bet something will fall or fly in there and clog it.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj

Forget about AAV's, check valves installed backwards, etc. Install a tee with a 1/2" branch connection and screw a 1/2" vacuum vent, available at any good plumbing supply store, into it.

Reply To This Message

Author: dumberplumber (MD)

can anyone explain to me why he has MULTIPLE checks in this system? you only need the one right at the pump. anyway, i would have to jump on the drill a small hole in the first bend outside the house bandwagon. that should work nicely with any venting issues you have. however, not being able to look at it myself, and wondering what multiple checks are for on a sump pump line makes me concerned there isnt something else going on.

Reply To This Message

I don't think he said he has multiple check valves. The suggestions have been made to install either a check valve, a vacuum break valve, or drill a vacuum break hole, outside the house in order to admit air from somewhere other than the present check valve just above the pump.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: How to show an image
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms