Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 525,000 Posts in over 155k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions keeping all positive and with no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 push/pull type toilet shut-off and supply hose combination??
Author: Jeffko (MO)

I have a toilet shut off valve that seems to be a "pull to shut off and push to turn on type" that is part of the water supply tube that goes to the toilet. My problem is that this shut off valve must be weak as when the toilet fill valve (fluidmaster) stops filling and shuts off, the shut off knob pops closed from the pressure change. I was going to remove this cheap looking shut-off/supply tube combination and replace it with a new compression type 1/4 turn shut off but don't know how to remove it. There is no nut to turn to get it off the 1/2" copper stub like a compresssion type valve and it is not soldered because the entire thing is plastic except for the stainless braided hose part. All my toilets have this set-up, the house was built about five years ago. Is this some sort of self tightened type of compresssion fit that is just pushed on the end of the pipe? I won't have enough pipe left from the wall if I cut it off. Anyone ever heard of this?
Thanks,
Jeff

Reply To This Message

Re: push/pull type toilet shut-off and supply hose combination??
Author: lefty75 (ID)

your gonna have to cut it off. Be careful not to cut into the copper pipe.

Reply To This Message

Here is a pic of the shut off. Thanks again for the help. Should I just try to cut it off the pipe?[@#$%&[i274.photobucket.com]][/URL]

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

It is a push on valve. Sometimes it will come off if you twist it while pulling on it. Other times you have to cut the valve apart to remove it.

Reply To This Message

Author: redwood (CT)

The plumber who built your house saved time and money installing those!

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

Isn't that the rule for new construction plumbers and contractors? Why worry about the service plumber or homeowner down the line. "Let them work around what we install".

Reply To This Message

Author: e-plumber (NY)

You mean the builder saved.
...That type of valve looks scary :eek:

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -
John William Gardner 10/8/1912 - 2/16/2002

Repair your leaking Plumbing fixtures ASAP [www.theplumber.com]
This slow drip will waste 7+ gallons of water per day.

Reply To This Message

Author: birddoggiest (ID)

I worked for a big union cantractor and was the foreman on a retirement home. We had to install about 700 of those things. I was disgusted with the thought. In the end we only had one problem with one that the rubber o-ring got cut and leaked and easily replaced. If you spin them counter clockwise and pull they spin off. I wouldn't use them on my own jobs but worked good and am sure they are cheap.

Reply To This Message

Thanks for all of your help. I was able to twist it counterclockwise while pulling and it came right off. I replaced it today with a compresssion fit 1/4 turn valve and hose. No leaks yet! Thanks again.

Reply To This Message

:thumb::thumb:

How many more of them are in your home?

Reply To This Message

I've got two more toilets with these on them. Do you think the others may be a problem in the future as well? Do you think I should be proactive and replace the rest?

Reply To This Message

Tick.... Tick..... Tick.... Tick....

In all reality they are probably fine until you need them... Then they just won't work.

If you ever go to change out a toilet or, a fill valve you will need to change the supply line and as they are integral to the valve you will then also have to change the valve out.

Reply To This Message

Author: tjk5800 (FL)

i read that if you pull on the valve hard towards you and turn counterclockwise it will come off dont forget to shut off main supply

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.