Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
Buy plumbing supplies online
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 525,000 Posts in over 155k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions keeping all positive and with no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Need more Hot Water, add Tankless to Tank?
Author: jeffw_00

Our family of 4 has a 40gal GAS Hot Water Heater, but we like hot showers and baths, and even though it's a Bradford-White, and we have it turned up all the way, we often run out of hot water. I don't want to get rid of the tank because we have several power outages every year. However, I was wondering if there was any practical way to add a "small" tankless unit as an extra boost during the "shower hour".

PS - When we bought the house, we had a 1960 30gal unit and no problems. That was replaced in 1995 with a 40gal and we were also ok (though we did run out occasionally), the newest one was installed in 2006, and I guess that with improved "energy efficiency" every year they just don't put out as hot a flow?

Thanks
/j

Reply To This Message

Re: Need more Hot Water, add Tankless to Tank?
Author: redwood (CT)

How about adding a properly sized water heater?

Reply To This Message

I don't think another 10g is going to make a difference, aren't the bigger ones quite expensive, and, well, big?

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

actually a 50 gallon is not but maybe a few dollars more because there is more demand for them.

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: e-plumber (NY)

A 40 gas WH may be okay for two people who take real quick showers.

I'd suggest twinning another 40 with the one you have. I always pipe them in parallel, with isolation valves on the gas and the hot & cold lines.

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -
John William Gardner 10/8/1912 - 2/16/2002

Repair your leaking Plumbing fixtures ASAP [www.theplumber.com]
This slow drip will waste 7+ gallons of water per day.

Reply To This Message

Actually at my local supply house the 50 gal water heater is $10 less than a 40 gal.:think2:

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

Energy efficiency has nothing to do with the output. That is controlled by the burner's btu input and the thermostat setting. It is unlikely that the new one has a smaller burner than either of the previous ones, so the likeliest culprit is that the thermostat is set at a lower temperature. The former heaters had a "normal" setting of 140 degrees, the new one's normal is probably 120.

Reply To This Message

Good suggestion assuming he has room to add another chimney, a large enough gas line, and space for two heaters, and the two safety valve discharge lines cannot be connected together so that is another consideration.

Reply To This Message

thanks guys - any thoughts about Tankless? Maybe I should just rip it out and convert to GAS Tankless? (I have a generator so I can give it a small amount of power)

Reply To This Message

Tankless is an option but...
You would need a high output model which will cost plenty with the necessary upgrades.
Call your regular Plumber, (or a couple of local licensed Plumbers) for an accurate price quote.

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -

Reply To This Message

Can i add something to my current system to just raise it 20DegF (it can even be electric) - that would probably give me all I need.
/j

Reply To This Message

Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

its rare anyone installs a 40 gallon....from my experience its only the very frugel....50 is a starting point...

read up on AO Smith Vertex....it will be less than a tankless and probably be perfect for you.

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

have a read here.
[www.bradfordwhite.com]
a 50 gallon XR would give you plenty of hot water.

Reply To This Message

Yeah but his WH is only 2 years old and his last one lasted 12+ years.

e-plumber

Reply To This Message

Author: joint-runner (MA)

I install Ruud 50 Gallon/50,000 btu's all the time for large familys and never have a problem.

Reply To This Message

Guys - we're finding the 40g so insufficient that I doubt the 50g would be a panacea, and if temperature is high-limited on all HWHs due to energystar I don't see how a change of brand is going to help me. This is not about recovery time. I'm glad some people are happy with 40g or 50g, we're big fans of the hot soak and we're not. I suppose I could go to like a 60g or 80g tank, but I'd rather find a temperature booster if such a thing exists.

Thanks
/j

Reply To This Message

I'll usually recommend a replacement high recovery 50 G./65K BTU or a 75 G. model for a typical size house.
I'd rather play it safe, too much HW is better than not enough.

e-plumber

Reply To This Message

What kind of heating plant do you have...FHW? I hope...if so a 60 gallon super-stor will meet your needs.

Reply To This Message

Jeff's a family of 4....I've twined 2-50Gallon,50mbtu's for a 4 family unit and never got a call back...just how must hot water does one need?.40's and 50's are cheap....75's are very expensive jeff.

Reply To This Message

we have Forced hot-air
Ok - sounds like I should consider a 2nd 40.

Geez - will this really cause me to 'save energy' compared to one older-style 40 that would go 10 or 20 degrees higher? (sigh)

Reply To This Message

Jeff...heating hot water runs is cheap...about $5.00 per for domestic.

Reply To This Message

You could increase the water temperature to 140 degrees F and install a tempering valve to mix it down to a safe 120 degrees F. This may give you enough... Maybe! [www.plumbingsupply.com]

Reply To This Message

Author: lefty75 (ID)

i think you'd be fine with a 50.

Reply To This Message

Just adjust the thermostat 20 degrees hotter. If you are all adults with no infants or senile elderly, you should do just fine.

Reply To This Message

Hope the shower is pressure balanced!

Reply To This Message

Author: CraigV (PA)

I used a 70gal Bradford-White in a 2-1/2 bath home with a family of four....3 of them females of the long-shower (half hour+) variety. The master also has a huge jacuzzi tub. It's never run this thing out of hot water, even if someone fills the jacuzzi all-hot and someone else takes a shower while doing laundry. And that's with the thermostat set to 120F.

The unit is obviously bigger than a 40, it's only about 5 inches wider and taller...about 5'5". Runs about $900 installed. In the long run it would be a lot more energy efficient than using two 40's in parallel, and save the hassle of adding a second vent and plumbing for another gas line, let alone having at least double the orginal space.

Reply To This Message

I know we don't discuss prices BUT $900. installed for a 75 G. gas WH? Something doesn't sound right...

e-plumber

Reply To This Message

guys - the thermostat is already maxed out. I know that using more water at 120F is the same as using less at 140F. What I didn't realize on the last replacement was that with the temp (even the MAX accessible temp) dropping, I needed to add to the volume...

/j

Reply To This Message

Sounds like you know what needs to be done at this point.
Cranking up the temperature to the max could be dangerous...

e-plumber

Reply To This Message

is it really dangerous to set it at max? i mean - i assume they expect 'dumb' homeowners will do just that...
/j

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

well if your not careful it doesnt take long to give a 3rd degree burn

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

What I didn't realize on the last replacement was that with the temp (even the MAX accessible temp) dropping, I needed to add to the volume...

What does that sentence mean? What do you mean by "the temperature dropping"? The new heater does not operate any diffently than the old one did.

Reply To This Message

Max with a gas heater is between 150 and 160 degrees which IS MUCH TOO HOT. 140 should be the maximum setting without a mixing/tempering valve at the heater.

Reply To This Message

I bet he means running out of HW, when the temp starts to drop that means hurry up, the water is getting cold fast!

e-plumber

Reply To This Message

What I mean is that I'm quite sure that "normal" and "max" on my current water heater correspond to lower temperatures than what was on my old one. Since it's a good name "Bradford-white" unit I assume it's not shoddy design, but someone had mentioned that due to energystar the "normal" temp from a water heater has been reduced in the last decade. With my 'hot' water not as hot I use more of it, so I need more in the tank.

Or maybe I just have a bad stat?

/j

Reply To This Message

e-plumber wrote:"I know we don't discuss prices BUT $900. installed for a 75 G. gas WH? Something doesn't sound right..."

Too low or too high? It was about 6 years ago.

Reply To This Message

Low, even back then - based on prices around here.

e-plumber

Reply To This Message

Normal is an arbitrary value that the manufacturer assigns to a specific position on the thermostat dial. It will still adjust up to the maximum termperture the old one did.

Reply To This Message

Author: AlmstAJrnyman (HI)

I dont know where you live but you might want to consider a solar unit with a storage tank. Just another option depending on where you live. Solar water heating is a thing of the future so you might consider gitting in the game early.

Reply To This Message

Even more so in beautiful Hawaii and other tropical destinations B)

e-plumber

Reply To This Message

e-plumber wrote;"Low, even back then - based on prices around here.

"

That's interesting. I was pretty annoyed when I saw that I could have had it done for about 2 bills less. I didn't have time to wait, or help to do it myself at the time. FWIW the location is Philly suburbs.

Reply To This Message

Author: birddoggiest (ID)

Jeff, With the heater thermostat maxed out and after it is fully recovered check the temp. at a faucet with a thermomater and get your max temp. reading. Then call the Bradford and White and talk to a tech support person and see if there is a problem with the unit. It should be under waranty. It sound like something may be wrong with it.

Reply To This Message

The Cost of a 75g heater is $600+ at best and the cost to retrofit is probably more than that in most applications, (even in No. Id.).

Reply To This Message

In AZ people "got into the game early" 20 years ago, and by now most of their systems have frozen, split, and been disconnected or the water heater tanks have failed. In either case, once one half fails the decision is whether to replace it for about $1,200.00 and possibly have the other half fail next week, or go back to conventional systems.

Reply To This Message

Solar was the hot thing too in cali in the 80's. I would say that 90+% don't work anymore and they are still on the roof. They must of had huge tax credits back then to do them. What does a unit cost?

Reply To This Message

Author: AlmstAJrnyman (HI)

Well im sure they have made a few minor advancements in 20years i would think. If their systems are freezing then it was installed wrong. Im sure they paid for themselves and the new unit by the time it broke. That being said will a conventional WH pay for itself when it breaks? I dont think so. Tax credits are viewed as the major inscentive for going solar when really the solar itself is what should be pushing the market. Also im sure prices have dropped alot since the 80s but what do i know i was just a baby. Go solar im a believer.

Reply To This Message

good idea birddogger - will do

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.