Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 beveled washers or flat washers
Author: Larryr (MN)

I plan to replace faucet washers on my bathtube. The seats are the standard brass replaceable type. What determines if faucet washers should be beveled or flat? Is any washer material better than others for life use, and seal?

Reply To This Message

Re: beveled washers or flat washers
Author: dlh (TX)

the brand and model of your faucet

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

DH is most correct. Most bibb washer are flat. There seems to be a prevailing logic that a bigger bibb washer is better than a small flat washer. That is not true. By installing a beveled bibb washer, your stem now has less room to travel and that could create additional problems.

Follow DH's suggestion and use only factory original repair and replacement parts (OEM)

Best Wishes

Reply To This Message

Author: redwood (CT)

What is your make and model? If unknown can you post a pic?

Reply To This Message

Author: e-plumber (NY)

95% of (compression type) faucets that I rebuild use flat washers, made from neoprene
rubber - although some stems need to have beveled washers installed for a proper repair.

For best results, replace both seats as well.

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -
John William Gardner 10/8/1912 - 2/16/2002

Repair your leaking Plumbing fixtures ASAP [www.theplumber.com]
This slow drip will waste 7+ gallons of water per day.

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

when they make them.they engineer them to perform.stay with the original parts .if you can. good luck.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

I always use beveled, unless the movement of the stem is so restricted that a beveled one would not open fully.

Reply To This Message

Author: greekguy7 (IL)

With all due respect for your years of experience, HJ, what do you think the advantage of a beveled washer would be, especially when the original washer is flat?

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

i agree with greekguy. when you use a beveled washer on the hot side, the heat tends to swell the washer and slow down the flow. plus, i find the bibb screw tends to come loose as the beveled washed is compressed more than a flat washer.
i rest my case.

Reply To This Message

The bevel has a better chance of conforming to the rounded seat face, thus making contact over a greater area. The flat washer will only mate to the upper surface. Besides, the greater thickness of the beveled washer means that the washer will last longer.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Or be torn up jammed into the seat!

All it takes to stop water is 2 flat surfaces...

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

"Besides, the greater thickness of the beveled washer means that the washer will last longer"

you are joking arent you hj?

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

I think HJ's alone on this one... Most of the times that I find beveled washers installed is when the previous repair person could not remove and replace the seat and thought that a beveled washer would last longer before the faucet needed another repair. A beveled washer will also get squeezed out of the washer retainer compared to a flat washer which will remain tightly in position.

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -

Reply To This Message

Seat surfaces are not "flat". And if you remember your Calculus, a rounded surface is flat, but for only a microscopic distance.

Reply To This Message

No, but why would you ask?

Reply To This Message

"A beveled washer will also get squeezed out of the washer retainer compared to a flat washer which will remain tightly in position"

No way. The edge of the beveled washer is the same thickness as a flat one, the extra material is at the center where wear takes place. You are letting your preconceived notions rule your thinking.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

all i know is all the beveled washers i have installed didnt work properly one way or the other

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

Actually it's not a preconceived notion of mine, it's solid evidence. When I take apart a faucet, I sometimes find that if a beveled washer was used, it is 'squished' and is larger than the opening in the faucet where the stem passed through. That wouldn't happen with a flat washer >as often as it would with a beveled<.

e-plumber

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

survey says...

those using beveled washers.... 39%
those using flat washers... 60%
those who think curt schilling will ever pitch again... 1%

Reply To This Message

Author: greekguy7 (IL)

wow... flat washers versus beveled is soon going to create as much controversy as silicone vs. putty..... or connectong water heaters series vs. parallel

Reply To This Message

as with both of those it is really a personal preference

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

dlh

"as with both of those it is really a personal preference"
it is not personal preference with me. i have to admit, i have had leaks/problems with basket strainers, shower strainers and pop-up wastes when i used putty.
BUT, since switching to 100% silicone, i have NEVER had a leak. now that some (not all thankfully) shower strainers and lav pop-ups are coming thru plastic, you can't tighten them enough so you either throw them in the trash or silicone them.
i rest my case..

Reply To This Message

Re: dlh

you prefer to use sillycone because you do not know how to properly use putty.:P

no matter how you say it, it is still a personal preference since either will work

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

You must have 600 pound gorillas for customers, because I have never seen that happen. My customers turn the handle until the water flow stops, and eventually the washer wears away as the seat penetrates it. In fact, Price Pfister faucets used to come with a modified beveled washer that was sort of cycloid shaped in cross section.

Reply To This Message

Re: survey says...

How many think Shaq will boost the Suns?

Reply To This Message

Author: mjb1962853 (NY)

Larryr...

Between beveled and flat washers, I try to use what was originally in the faucet. In general this gives the best results.

TIP: In the past I've had to revisit several faucet repair jobs because the washer screws were coming loose. Over-tightening these screws caused other problems. I started using a drop of superglue to "lock" the threads and the screws no longer worked themselves loose. Problem solved.

For those that think superglue is something more than just plastic (cyanoacrylate ~ acrylic), the screws are easily broken loose with a screwdriver if future repairs are needed. There are many variants of superglue specifically designed to be thread-lockers, but I find the common stuff works great and is the most useful to carry around in my toolbox.

As for the silicone vs. putty debate, each material has pros and cons depending on where they are to be used. People should be flexible enough to use the best one for the job in front of them.

Good Luck!

Reply To This Message

Speaking of 600 pound gorillas...

e-plumber

Reply To This Message

Down to about 320 #.

Reply To This Message

The way I see it, as long as he can play, (not sit on the bench), he'll benefit the team. Might be just what the Suns need right now.

...I can't say anything good about my Knicks except if that if they keep losing like they are, they'll have better draft pick position :confused:

e-plumber

Reply To This Message

We might have helped you by sending Marion to Miami. He may screw them up by actually winning some games.

Reply To This Message

If I used those cheap/defective basket strainers Packy uses I'd glue them in too!

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.