Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
Buy plumbing supplies online
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 525,000 Posts in over 155k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions keeping all positive and with no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 help! knocking (thumping) noise when turn on faucet
Author: sukubo (CA)

Hello,

I had my kitchen faucet replaced about 2 months ago. And I've recently noticed that whenever I turn my faucet on for the first time, after its been off for a while, (i.e. when I first use it in the morning or when I come home at the end of the day), I hear a knock or thump (just one knock). I'm not sure if it started right when the new faucet was installed, but I'm pretty sure I never heard it before I had the new one in.

Anyway, I'm thinking it might be a pipe knocking against something. My parents had an exposed pipe in their laundry room that knocked against the wall whenever the water was turned on. I'm wondering if the pipe connected to my kitchen faucet is doing the same thing?

I also noticed that since the new faucet was put in, the water flow is much stronger. I think the plumber opened the water supply valves all the way. I'm wondering whether the knocking will stop if I turned the valves a bit to slow the water flow. Is this safe to do?

Or do you think there's something else causing the knock?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!!
Su

Reply To This Message

Re: help! knocking (thumping) noise when turn on faucet
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I'd say its the diverter in the faucet itself. Try holding down on the spray button before turning on the faucet and see if it still makes the noise.

Reply To This Message

Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

the old faucet in my house used to create water hammer when it was turned on fast...try turning it on slowly instead of a quick flick...does the problem go away?..you may just have some loose floppy pipes that need to be clamped down better.

Reply To This Message

Author: redwood (CT)

You may have a slight leak in the side spray hose or, sprayer causing the line to refill when you turn the faucet on. This causes the diverter thump.

Reply To This Message

Thanks for the replies.

I'll try turning it on more slowly and see if that works.

I don't have a spray spout, though. Just a simple one handled faucet. Btw, where is the diverter? Is it something simple that can be fixed or do I need to call the plumber back in?

Thanks again!
Su

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

if the faucet that was installed came with a sprayer but the sprayer port was capped off then the divertor should have been removed at install.yes if this is the case call back the plumber.good luck.

Reply To This Message

Author: bill the plumber

there are few taps that remain open in ones home,turn off washing machine tap if not using ,throttle back any full open taps ie toilets, dishwasher ,waterheater even water meter and most important the mini tap under the bench. the less the washer in the tap has to move , the less the noise

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

partially closing valves wont help anything when the noise is only when they first turn the faucet on and it has to wait a few minutes before it will happen again

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Hi again,

I tried turning the faucet on really slowly but it still thumped - the thump just came a few seconds later than it normally does. Then I tried just turning it on full flow (I usually do halfway) and it still thumped, but not as loudly as when I turn the faucet on halfway.

However, I turned the faucet on with the handle all the way to the "cold" setting: No thump. *But* when I turned it to the "hot" setting, the thump came. Is this significant??

My original faucet never had a spray attachment, so the new faucet is also just a basic one handled faucet without any attachments.

I live in a condo unit so I share water with a whole building. And I don't have any water heaters or washing machines (just two bathrooms and a kitchen). Should I try flushing both my toilets and running my bathroom faucets before turning on my kitchen faucet?

Anyway, will these thumps weaken the pipes or cause them to break? And do I need to call a plumber in asap? I'm dreading the possibility that my plumber will tell me that they have to go behind my wall to fix it :(

Thank you again for the replies and any further advice. I really appreciate it.
Su

Reply To This Message

Author: FreeBSD (Non-US)

I had a similar problem with a brand new Peerless kitchen faucet that has a side sprayer. After Googling for similar problems, I determined that the diverter was the most likely culprit. Called Peerless and after a brief discussion, the help desk person agreed that it was probably the diverter. They sent a new diverter which never arrived because they forgot to include my suite number in the address so I had to call again and get another one sent. Installed the new diverter and the thumping problem was solved. The diverter that I pulled from the faucet looked and felt a little wonky, not quite broken but certainly not new and pristine. Try replacing your diverter if you have a side sprayer. If you don't have a side sprayer, check the technical info to see if your faucet has a diverter anyway.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.