Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
Buy plumbing supplies online
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 525,000 Posts in over 155k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions keeping all positive and with no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Dehydrated copper tubing
Author: sopsnyc (NY)

I'm installing a refrigerator water line and needed about 30' of copper tubing to get from the sink to the fridge (there was no closer supply point). My question is that the only tubing that I could find that was long enough was refrigeration tube that was "dehydrated". I was told at the store that this was fine and from what I can tell "dehydrated" means that it is cleaner than general purpose copper tube. Is it fine to use or am I about to poison myself here? Thanks.

Reply To This Message

Re: Dehydrated copper tubing
Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

i dont know about the tubing question, but the max length of fridge tubing in WI is 10', so you will have more pressure loss than you should. your fridge water is slow enough normally...it may be slower

Reply To This Message

Author: joint-runner (MA)

Yes it's cleaner and also has a very thin wall...not Legal for domestic water by any code book.

Reply To This Message

Author: e-plumber (NY)

What you need to use would be 1/4" Type L copper tubing, any Plumbing supply house in the metropolitan area will have it in stock. I've installed long runs before without a problem, but do avoid using a self-piercing saddle valve, (which are illegal in NY), it will only lead to future troubles...

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -
John William Gardner 10/8/1912 - 2/16/2002

Repair your leaking Plumbing fixtures ASAP [www.theplumber.com]
This slow drip will waste 7+ gallons of water per day.

Reply To This Message

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

Type ACR copper ( refrigeration tube) is sold in 5' to 50' coils which are cleaned and dried and capped to maintain cleanliness. This is so that you can connect it directly to a refrigeration system without worry. It is very similar to type M copper in wall thickness. Around here, any copper in 3/8" and 1/4" OD sizes is almost always ACR in residential like dishwashers, refrigerators, water filters, etc. As far as I know, it is perfectly legal under the California Plumbing Code. If it is not, we have beeen screwing up for years!

Reply To This Message

Author: royboy (SC)

It is cleaner because of dry nirogen being passed through it to purge any contaminates for an air conditioning use. It would work fine for your intended use. Yes, it is thinner because it is not "L" sized copper. Think of it as "M" soft copper.

Reply To This Message

Thanks to everyone
Author: sopsnyc (NY)

Thanks to everyone for their help. I think I'm going to go ahead and use the tubing that I have. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to poison myself because the refrigeration tubing was treated with some sort of caustic chemical. Thanks again.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.