Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Need more heat,wife and kids are freezing!!
Author: Joshplumb (NY)

Two bedrooms in my house are the coldest in my house. At first I was thinking that its the insulation, but then why are the other rooms warm? So it made me think, is it the radiators? I don't believe these radiators are getting as hot as the others in the house, now, when I grab the pipe going to the radiator I cant keep my hand on it for no more than 10 seconds.As a result these two rooms are 5 to 7 degrees colder than the rest of the house. I have compared the heat output of these radiators with the others in the house and these feel weak. Here are the details. Its a monoflo type hydronic heating system. I have the boiler set to 180 degrees F. When I open the bleed valve on the radiator I get no air. I was thinking, would it be smart to remove the monoflo tees? please someone help, (wife and kids are freezing!!)

Reply To This Message

Re: Need more heat,wife and kids are freezing!!
Author: joint-runner (MA)

Do you get water when you bleed?

Reply To This Message

Author: redwood (CT)

Captain the Dilithium Crystals are vibrating as hard as they can!
She's not going to hold on much longer!

I believe in past threads it was either more BTU's or, more insulation. Or, Both!

Reply To This Message

Was this the guy that wanted to divide his system down the middle?

Reply To This Message

Author: redwood (CT)

A bit of history...
[www.plbg.com]

Reply To This Message

Josh..you put in the 0010 instead of the 0014 silly JR told you to.

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

0014 isn't going to solve the problem. he will still have an unbalanced system.
gotta slow down the flow to the warmer rooms to force more to the colder rooms. OR, if there are valves to the colder rooms and they are slightly shut, he needs to open them.

Reply To This Message

A Properly sized mono-flow system should never need that type of balance...replace the 0010 with a 0014.Problem will be solved.The 0010 just does'nt have the head to over come and slowing zones will only hurt.That's his Problem....Flow's to slow....need to move some BTU's...the 100 taco or other circ was doing the same thing...lot's of volume but no head= cool zones.

Edited 2 times.

Reply To This Message

yes I get water.

Reply To This Message

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

Author: joint-runner (MA)
Do you get water when you bleed?

Actually, NO, I get blood when I bleed. Several times a day to check sugar levels!

Reply To This Message

jimmy...they have new units that don't require blood...

Reply To This Message

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

I keep pretty much up on the goings on in the diabetes world. In fact next Saturday is the annual TCOYD conference in San Diego. All he vendors will be there with their latest and greatest. Last year, we heard about those devices that use lasers, etc. to test with no blood. They were still working the way through the FDA. But they are coming.

I test just enough that it is NOT a huge deal for me. I still have 8 fingers I can get blood from! There are also meters that do well taking samples from the palm, or even from the forarm. I'm good for now with what I have.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

The MonoFLo tees would be the reason you get heat, not why they do not heat. You have some other problem, and it may be so unique that only someone there could diagnose it. But you say you cannot touch the pipe for more than a few seconds, but then you also say the radiators are not hot. Are both statements true, and if so, you have a circulation problem, possibly a closed valve.

Reply To This Message

Author: rjones0281 (MO)

the mono flows restrict the flow so the finns can do ther job ime shure you have cleaned the fins and checked the thermostat for leavel.have you tried flushing the system?

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

The MonoFlos do not "restrict the flow", they divert water from the main line into the radiator. Without them, and without engineering the pipe sizes, along with needing a two pipe system, the water would just circulate through the main line with only a small amount, if any, of flow to the radiators. You still haven't answered whether the pipe is uncomfortably hot and the radiator just warm.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

The pipe leaving the radiator is hot, I mean I cant keep my hand on it for more than 7 to 10 seconds, The heat leaving the rad enclosure is weak.

Reply To This Message

So the waters around 140ish...is this the highest radiator on the loops?.

Reply To This Message

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

You've done your best and after all this time, the weather outside is not getting any better. You and your family need the services of a professional plumber. A license plumber can assess your system and detemine the best course of action.

In the end, your family will have both heat and hot water.
Best Wishes

Reply To This Message

circulator that can deliver a larger head Josh!.

Reply To This Message

yes this is the highest radiators.

Reply To This Message

Will raising the system pressure help?

Reply To This Message

Just took a temperature reading at the radiator cover vents, the radiator that I thought was weak, is just 15 degrees cooler than the hottest rad in the house. 115 f.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Josh...may I ask why you refuse to listen to my advice?.You Listened to Packy's advice installing the under sized 0010 and look whats happened,you come back and ask "is there enough pressure"...if you have water at the unit you have plenty of pressure.You have a large mono-flow system Josh...one that needs a high head circulator.I took the time to run your numbers through a program I have at my shop and will now tell you your going to need an even more powerfull 0013....yes the 0013 has more head than the 0014 and 2 times that of the 0010.Your systems fine Josh just needs some horse power.

Reply To This Message

The Keyspan guy that installed the pump, said that it is overkill for my system.....He says they install those pumps in houses where they were formally gravity systems. Guess he was wrong. I originally had the series 100, isnt that a very powerful pump?

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.