Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Opinion about "bottle" p-traps
Author: sum (FL)

I know it may not be allowed in some states but it is allowed and very popular in Miami.

So I have two exposed drain and wondering if this is a good option. Any opinion? Are they easier to clog?

Edited 1 times.

Re: Opinion about "bottle" p-traps
Author: dlh (TX)

yes they are easier to clog and eventually you will notice sewer gas smells because the interior of the trap has rotted away

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Author: redwood (CT)

Easier to clog, harder to clean, And a ready path for sewer gasses... I want that in my house... They look cool!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

why would it rot easily?

I can see why it's easier to clog.

The metal partition has water on both sides vs. 1 side of a p-trap. Come on Sum would we steer you wrong?

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Redwood of course I trust the judgment of the experts here I just wanted to know the reasoning. On the other hand I have seen some regular p-trap that rot pretty easy I think they were made out of "pot" metal.

What's a good long lasting rust p-trap for exposed drain?

I wish I can afford these over a hundred dollar P-traps but I can't.

My budget may be around $30.00.

Just get a 17 Gauge chromed brass p-trap Make sure the slip joint nuts are chromed brass as well and not zinc nuts.

Author: packy (MA)

traps that rely on interior partitions for a proper trap seal are ilegal. if the interior partition becomes porous, you will get sewer gas in your house.
if a p-trap becomes porous, it will leak onto the floor and you will replace it.

Author: hj (AZ)

why would it rot easily?
Scare tactics and hyperbole.

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

A reasonable quality valve, chrome plated but not the brushed nickel which seems to be in you picture, would be about $5 each at the box store. Two flex lines, braided SS...$8. That leaves you $12 for the trap and eschutcheons. You might squeeze in a 22 guage chrome trap at the depot. You will have to pay extra for a deep escutcheon.

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

I am curious....do these units carry an approval from IAPMO, or otherwise? I have noted that the HD locally is selling them now. I need to read the fine print in the Calif. Code to see if they are outlawed?

Author: plumb-bobII (VA)

Jimmy, I would think you would have to get the ASTM # and then go to the code book with that number.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Budgets are designed to be broken. Just as quality vintage of wine comes in bottles instead of plastic.

The amount of your budget will bearly cover a quality product.
Form or function? The decision is still yours. You could meet
your budget by going pvc to have function, but without form, and
have some pennies left over.

Best Wishes

I already have the valves (someone suggested the Brasscraft quarter turn) and supply lines. So I figure just the P-trap, the escutcheon (why is this word so hard to spell?) and the chrome to PVC coupler is what I budgeted $30.00 for, I can go above that but hopefully not.

These bottle traps are being sold in most of the plumbing supply stores, HD, and Expo Design Center (which is basically high end HD). Many of the vanity combo unit which sells the sink, vanity, mirror, faucet, drain and trap in one big package pretty much use them by default.

They are expensive too, the Mountain Plumbing variety are pretty steeply priced. So it's just a piece of metal inside doing the job, hmmm I always wondered how it did the bent in such tight spaces. No one thought of using plastic partitions?

No one thought of using plastic partitions?

If they did it was only for a few seconds until they realized that a plasstic one would be difficult to install and impossible to seal. A brass divider is cast into the trap during the manufacturing process.

I doubt that they are IAPMO approved and almost all codes prohibit traps with internal partitions, or mechanical seals such as bell traps.

Author: royboy (SC)

You couldn't go wrong with the 17 ga. P-trap. Besides, it will be easy to work with when you get tired of the work that it takes to keep the vessel clean and change it out for a regular sink!

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.