Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 changing from push pull to turn shower
Author: mathdan (CA)

We currently have Price Pfister shower where in order to turn the shower on or off, you have to first pull out the handle, then to adjust the temperature, you then turn that same handle. That shower is in the kids bathroom, and they have a hard time pushing and pulling the handle. We would like to change it out to a handle where all they have to do is turn it and the water comes on and they adjust the heat. The amount of water that comes out is not important to us because we have a low flow shower head already, so we always use full pressure anyways. We really don't want to have to knock out tiles to do this. Is it possible and if so, what exactly do we need? Thanks

Reply To This Message

Re: changing from push pull to turn shower
Author: jimmy-o (CA)

You really need access inside the wall. You could do it from the back side, if that was accessible through a closet wall, or whatever.

Reply To This Message

Author: redwood (CT)

Most of the time as stated above there is backside acsess through a closet. If there is, it is not a big deal to change out the valve. In many older homes where a valve has been replaced there is usually just the cut out sheetrock tacked back in place with a couple of screws. It really doesn't matter in the back of a closet where no one sees it. I have even seen hinged panels installed... Talk about easy!

Reply To This Message

Author: mathdan (CA)

Thanks
Unfortunately there is no backside closet. Instead the backside is the backside of another bathroom shower. So I'm guessing the change out isn't really an easy thing.

Which leads me to the next question. the other bathroom also has a push pull handle, but it is much easier to push and pull to turn off and on (not sure of the brand, but it is much older than the one that is giving us trouble). Is there something that can be done to the one that is hard to push and pull to make it easier to push/pull? It turns really easily, it's just that to push or pull takes quite a bit of force.

Reply To This Message

It is possible that replacing the cartridge will free it up. Quite often an older cartridge will stiffen up and be hard to operate.

In my home I have an older Moen valve whech is also a pull on, push off, turn for temperature valve. When I replaced the cartridge the first time my wife used it afterward she called me up to make sure it wasn't broken.:laugh:

I'd give it a shot first.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

Probably all you really need to do is replace the core in that valve. A new one will operate a lot easier than it sounds like that one is doing.

Reply To This Message

Author: Krazyfx (MD)

Actually Moen makes a nice chrome cover plate that will cover an older three handle type diverter. If the wall is tile, you could cut the tile, and replace the diverter from the tub side.

Reply To This Message

What good that would do for a Price-Pfister valve I don't know... But, you are right Moen has a lot of trim for a few basic valves.

Reply To This Message

Author: sabuj (TN)

In my tub/shower I have the same price pfister single knob push and pull and then turn to change water temperature diverter valve that I can no longer turn completely off with the aluminum covering installed because I installed tile that makes the aluminum covering sit too far off the valve (yeah I know stupid) which thus makes it impossible for the knob to push the stem all the way in so that it can shut off the water. Is there an easy way to change just the stem so that it becomes a single turn left/right knob or am I going to have to replace the entire diverter assembly (requiring cutting copper, soldering in which case I'm probably going to have to call a plumber)?

Reply To This Message

Author: sabuj (TN)

I called pfister and they suggested the stem extender pfister part 910-563. I'll see if it works after I get it.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us