Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 rat out of my toilet
Author: sloanpeterson1 (WI)

I do not own the place I live. I had a rat climb out of my toilet. My landlord told me at first a valve could be put in to prevent things from being able to come out of the toilet. Now he says that such a valve is a hard thing to find. It has been three months since it happened. My questions are . . .
-How hard is this type of valve to find?
-The sewer lines into the building had rat poison put into them back when this happened. Is is likely that another rat could find its way into my toilet?

Re: rat out of my toilet
Author: redwood (CT)

There are rats in sewers. They seldom do climb out of a toilet but it is possible as you have experienced. My advice is try hard and get over it as you have experienced something that has a pretty slim chance of occurring nevermind see it a second time.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Author: e-plumber (NY)

A back-water valve, (check valve) installed on the sewer main would probably prevent it from happening unless a rodent climbed or fell into a stack vent pipe on the roof, but the Landlord would probably not want to pay for one to be installed which could cost big $,$$$.$$

Keep the seat lid down! eek

A back water valve installed looks something like this:

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -
John William Gardner 10/8/1912 - 2/16/2002

Repair your leaking Plumbing fixtures ASAP [www.theplumber.com]
This slow drip will waste 7+ gallons of water per day.

Author: joint-runner (MA)

Can't put them on a main in mass...only a branch off the main.Ever get a snake caught in a brass backwater valve?cry

Backwater valves have their own set of possible problems among them sewer backups. I'd rather go with the 10,000:1 chance of a rat coming out of my toilet than a backwater valve.

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Author: joint-runner (MA)

Amen.Unless one comes up the toilet when Red's on it!!!confused smiley..

Zackly!

Author: hj (AZ)

If there are rats in the sewer, then yes. They crawl through the piping and are attracted to the light coming into the sewer through the toilet.

Author: akamon (GA)

I'd reiterate redwoods advice; the chance of this happening again is slim to none. i did a search on this forum for your problem and the only thing i could find was your post. that should tell you something about how rare an occurance your experience is.

Once is enough to spook someone.

Many people around here had 3+ feet of water in their basements in late April '07, it happened 'once' in the past 40 years but that didn't stop them from taking precautions.

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -

Author: akamon (GA)

In the rat and snake dept (at least) spend the money on theropy rather than stuff like back flow preventers on the main, which may not even have anything to do with the rat -- who's to say the rat didn't come from outside and was getting a drink when she saw him come out of the toilet?

Maybe they need Terminix...

e-plumber

E-Plumber it looks like that guy it trying to flee into the sewer for a better life!

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.