Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Test Ball in Test Tee?
Author: sandyman720 (NJ)

What is the best way to put a test ball in this test tee? Do you put the ball vertical or horizontal?

THanks!

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Re: Test Ball in Test Tee?
Author: joint-runner (MA)

What ever floats your boat hun.:X

Reply To This Message

Author: steve (CA)

What type of plug do you have? Like this one?

Reply To This Message

Author: joint-runner (MA)

Put a Hanger on that PVC.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

If you have the conventional test ball, not one with a thread on it, then it does not go "IN" the tee, it goes up into the pipe using the opening in the tee to insert it and inflate it.

Reply To This Message

Yes I have the one that just inflates not the one that is threaded (but I wish I had that one!).

So I will insert the ball so the "valve stem" is horizontal and the ball is actually laying within the 3" drain.

What is the best way to hanger this drain since it is diagonal?

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

it is called a clevis hanger. available a plumbing supply houses.
[www.portablepipehangers.com]
shoulda put the same type of cleanout into the 4" while it was cut apart.
MA code won't allow a PVC "Y" cut into a cast iron stack. gotta be a cast iron "Y". maybe yours is different.

Reply To This Message

You had better buy an extension hose for the air valve. It will make it easier to inflate, but more important when you start to deflate the ball, it will "get away" from you as soon as enough air escapes. Then the water will push the ball past the tee, you will be flooded, and you will have to figure out how to pull the ball back to the opening because it will still be a tight fit in the pipe, and the retrieving chain will be wedged beteen it and the pipe wall.

Reply To This Message

Should I but the test ball to the right or left (upstream or downstream) of the test tee?

Can I inflate this and fill with water prior to the inspector coming?

Also can I open the ball valve to my new water lines to my bathroom prior to the inspector coming or does he want to be there when I do that also?

Reply To This Message

Author: PBwrencher (WI)

Put the test ball up-stream of the test tee and fill the new system with water, also it is o.k. to turn the ball valves on to your water piping.:lol:

9-11-07, 10:05am

Reply To This Message

Should I let the air out of the pipes before plugging the ends and turning on the water?

Reply To This Message

Author: redwood (CT)

It doesn't matter. If there is a leak the air will leave and the water will come.

Reply To This Message

Upstream, otherwise you could not remove the plug without flooding the area, which may happen anyway if you do not remove the plug properly after the test. Do it before the inspector comes, because if you have a leak you will want to fix it before he gets there.

Reply To This Message

Leave the air in when you turn on the valves so you can hear a leak and shut it off prior to it creating any mess.;)

9-11-07, 2:00pm

Reply To This Message

Author: pipemanbob (PA)

Got wet many a times prior to discovering the threaded test ball -- now I keep several of every size on hand.

Reply To This Message

Author: markts30 (AZ)

I don't think they make 6, 8 10 and 12 inch threaded test balls - I am doomed to keep getting wet from now till eternity with them...
1.5, 2, 3, and 4 inch test balls are easy to remove now that I have the hang of it...
Only a little water... just got to pull them out FAST and cover the hole...LOL

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

only time i get wet is pulling 8" and larger test balls on vertical stacks

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

DLH, You don't know how to do those without getting wet?

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

well yeah, i said when I pull them i didnt say i do pull them...lol

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Best way I found was have the apprentice do it... They have to learn all aspects of the job! :laugh:

Reply To This Message

That is why we have apprentices to pull the test.:(

9-12-07, 8:12am

Reply To This Message

A piece of pipe or lumber in the hole to keep the ball in place. Release just enough air to allow the water to drain. THEN release all the air and remove the ball. Result, no flooding and no getting wet.

Reply To This Message

Isn't that why God made apprentices?

Reply To This Message

Thanks guys, I passed my rough plumbing inspection yesterday!

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.