Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Crooked Toilet Flange (Cont.)
Author: timkindberg (OH)

My toilet flange was crooked and sticking up out of the ground about 1.5 inch on one side and 1 inch on the other side. So we cut it off and bought a flange that fit perfectly into the 3" PVC pipe. We used some PVC glue and primer and put the flange into the pipe. After waiting a day for the glue to set, we installed the toilet with a slab (we are using a slab because the toilet would rock otherwise) and a wax ring (the kind that is just the wax with no plastic part). We put the toilet on, hooked it up and flushed it. (below is what the toilet looked like when we were done.)

After a few minutes we noticed it leaking. It was leaking from two places. (see below pic)

My guess is that the wax ring broke while placing and lifting the toilet off the ground a few times to get the bolts through correctly, instead of a clean lay down. So I pulled the toilet back off and here is what the wax ring looked like. Does this look like it was a good seal?

Another thing I then noticed is that the flange was sitting about an inch off the ground, but when we installed it, it was flush with the ground, so I pushed on it and it slid back down to floor level. Guess the glue didn't really work, isn't PVC glue supposed to bond strongly?

SO I scraped off all the wax and then took the flange out of the pipe so that I could start all over. In the picture on the right below, you can also see how we put some wood blocks in to straighten the pipe, since it was originally coming up at an angle.

Here are my main questions:
Was I going about this the right way?
Was it the wax ring that broke the seal, can I just try again?
Why didn't the PVC glue bond correctly, how can I get it to?

Reply To This Message

Re: Crooked Toilet Flange (Cont.)
Author: redwood (CT)

The cement held great... You failed the lesson! Because you left class early without getting all the information.

See here [www.plbg.com]

The other thing you failed to do is secure the flange to the floor using #12 screws long enough to go through all the flooring. The flanges typically have 4-6 holes for screws to fasten down the flange. use as many as possible. Use brass or stainless steel screws. In cement I use Tapcon screws.

Not securing the flange caused it to break.
Now you get to try again!

The other thing wrong is with 3" pipe the flange should go on the outside of the pipe. 3" is a minimum size by code.

Edited 2 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

to add a bit to redwoods post, you should get a pvc flange with a stainless steel ring on it. those all pvc flanges have a tendency to break where the toilet mounting bolts go whether it is secured as redwood pointed out or not.

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

The link I gave him was to a post I made in his earlier thread that you saying that same thing was a very important point.

Reply To This Message

Author: timkindberg (OH)

I guess I just don't see why a stainless steel flange is so important.

Also I want to explain that the last picture above is not showing a "broken off" flange. It's what's left after I just removed the new flange that I had purchased. The reason it looks all broken is because that is what is left over from the previous crooked flange that I had chipped out. Your seeing the pipe glued to the bottom of what is left of the previous flange and a coupler that is around the two.

Another point is, why would they sell a slightly smaller flange that fits inside the 3" if it wouldn't work?

Why did the PVC glue not bond? I was able to just pull the flange out with not much problem.

Can't I get this done without pouring concrete?

I know you guys are probably getting sick of me about now, I really really appreciated all the advice on the previous post. This is my first condo and my Dad sort of came over and looked at the advice everyone gave to me and then said "Well, we're just gonna do it like this!!". So that's why I didn't really do anything anyone told me to do. I do apologize.

Is there any way to get the job done with what I have? A marble slab and a plain wax ring?

Reply To This Message

Oh Okay... The last pic is what you started with. Essentially what happened is You did not screw down the flange so when you bolted on the toilet it pulled the flange off the pipe. Yes you do want a flange with a stainless steel ring... The all PVC flange is just plain junk! It is weak and prone to breakage. Flanges also come with painted steel rings which rust these are also junk! We like flanges with stainless steel rings because they work... & work... & work! Using good materials like that gives a plumber a good reputation.

[www.plumbingsupply.com]

Reply To This Message

and also keeps you from having to do this again any time soon

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

I'm lazy... I'd rather do the job 1 time!:laugh:

Reply To This Message

same here

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.