Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 515,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 How long do wax rings last?
Author: DIYdude (IL)

I live in a 100+ y.o. building. I looked at my basement's unfinished ceiling, just below where the first floor bathroom is located. The wood beams and laths seems to be damp. There is no evidence of water on the basement floor -- no standing water or dried water stains. The moisture seems to be centered near the large pipe that comes down from the ceiling, into the basement floor (is that called the stack??).

There is no evidence of leaking water anywhere in the first floor or second floor bathroom. The area at the base of the toilet is dry.

All drains have good flow and both toilets flush completely.

Could there be a small leak inside the drain of the toilet? How long does a toilet wax ring last? I know that the wax ring hasn't been touched for at least 14 years.

Any suggestions of what to look for?

Thanks in advance.

Reply To This Message

Re: How long do wax rings last?
Author: jimmy-o (CA)

On a toilet which is installed snugly, good fit, the wax should last the life of the toilet....15 to 30 years +/

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

it could be just condensate

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

The wax ring will last for many years, but the seal may not last that long if the toilet can move or wiggle.

Reply To This Message

Author: e-plumber (NY)

Flush the toilet 10+ times in a row, if it's the gasket causing the dampness. The leak could be so slow that it is soaking into the wood around the closet flange without actually dripping through the ceiling below, by flushing it repeatedly, you may see some water leaking.

As for how long a wax gasket will last, I've lifted toilets that were originally installed in the 1920's, the wax may not have been tacky to the touch but there were no leaks or escaping odors.

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -
John William Gardner 10/8/1912 - 2/16/2002

Repair your leaking Plumbing fixtures ASAP [www.theplumber.com]
This slow drip will waste 7+ gallons of water per day.

Reply To This Message

I doubt that any 20's toilet had a wax seal. Plumber's putty was used until at least the late 50's. And I did not even see a wax ring until I moved to this area in the late 60's.

Reply To This Message

Author: e-plumber (NY)

That explains why it wasn't tacky like wax, (the seals crumbled) and it did resemble dried up putty.

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -
John William Gardner 10/8/1912 - 2/16/2002

Repair your leaking Plumbing fixtures ASAP [www.theplumber.com]
This slow drip will waste 7+ gallons of water per day.

Reply To This Message

Author: britt (AL)

You ever run across an old toilet set with putty that has stuck to the flange? They would pack the whole bottom of the bowl with putty and set it.......I've had a few break off at the horn.....just leave the horn stuck to the flange. Stuff gets so hard you hafta chisel it off. That guy probaly has a lead arm leaking.

Reply To This Message

Plunging a toilet with the sewer stopped up can also blow out a wax seal somtimes. Puts too much pressure on the wax.

Reply To This Message

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

According to USA major wax manufacturers, lifetime. Now that's quite a warranty... isn't it?

Best Wishes

Reply To This Message

Author: jjbex (IL)

What's with the color of wax rings? They used to be golden, now they are brown.

------------------

"You can't get there from here"
Berry/Buck/Mills/Stipe

Reply To This Message

Author: DIYdude (IL)

Hi,
First, thanks for all the info.

Second, the comment "lead arm leaking" intrigued me. We had all the in water lines replaced with copper but some of the drain lines are still lead.
Is there something that can be done to stop a slow leak in lead?

Reply To This Message

Author: redwood (CT)

Yea the application of a sawzall.

Reply To This Message

Probably not, because by the time it starts leaking, the area that is damaged is so large it cannot be soldered over. And if you could solder it, you must use a soldering iron, (which would be very hard to find and expensive), then proceed slowly or you will melt a large hole in the lead.

Reply To This Message

The only temp fix I know of is fibergalss cloth and resin. Only temp. replace it.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: How to show an image
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms