Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 525,000 Posts in over 155k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions keeping all positive and with no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 No Hot Water in Kitchen.
Author: cruiced (FL)

I have no hot water in the kitchen, but it is fine everywhere else in the house (two bathrooms and the laundry room). I have replaced the hot water cut-off valve under the sink, and with the hot water pipe connections removed and the valve fully open, I only get lukewarm water dribbling out. Any suggestions? Could it be an air pocket in this one line? If so, how would I go about flushing this one line?

Thanks in advance for you input.

Reply To This Message

Re: No Hot Water in Kitchen.
Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Keep tracking the hot water backwards with the hot water running at the spout. Feel the pipes back to the junction or zone valve.
Best Wishes

Reply To This Message

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, the pipe goes straight into the wall and disappears from there. Even with the cut-off valve completely reomved (just leaving the bare, open-ended pipe showing) the water only dribbles out.

Does anyone have an idea about what might be causing the blockage and/or how to clear it?

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

It is not an air pocket, but we cannot tell you what the problem is without being at your house and making an inspection of the system.

Reply To This Message

Author: jerco (MD)

Are the water pipes, in the wall, galvanized steel pipes (or copper, or plastic)?

Reply To This Message

Copper.

Reply To This Message

Author: jerco (MD)

What valve(s) did you turn off to replace the supply valve to the faucet? Did you make sure to turn that/those valve(s) back on?

Reply To This Message

Author: redwood (CT)

If it was a gate valve it may have broken in the cold position.

Reply To This Message

Many thanks for the feedback so far - I greatly appreciate it.

I turned the off the valve for the whole house (outside). Besides the valve at the end of the hot water pipe (under the sink) there is no other valve on this branch - it feeds directly from the hot water heater. The hot water in the laundry room (which is closest to the hot water heater) is fine, as is the hot water in the two bathrooms (which are the furthest away). The sink is not that much further distance-wise than the laundry room sink.

Thanks.

Reply To This Message

Its hard to say what is happening from here. You might want to have a plumber on site check this out. It doesn't sound like and fast and easy cure.

Reply To This Message

Author: PlumerDan (CA)

do you by chance have a galvinized nipple coming out of a copper female adapter in the wall?.i know you said your pipes in the wall are copper,but i have seen people use the wrong nipples to stub out for the valves.they should be brass if there not.oh,the point i was getting at is galvy nipples do plug and sometimes a screwdriver or other pointed object can clear them(if not replace)...anyway good luck

Reply To This Message

Plubmerdan,

Thanks for the suggestion. I completely removed the valve from the end of the pipe (so there was just a bare, open-ended pipe sticking out of the wall) and the water was still only trickling out.

Reply To This Message

One final suggestion/idea that I'd like some advice on before I call in a plumber.

I purchased a garden hose/faucet adaptor yesterday with the idea of attaching my garden hose to the end of the faucet, opening the faucet to hot, and then, with the other end of the hose attached to an outside pipe, forcing water back up through the hot water pipe in question to try and clear out any blockage?
Before doing this, I would first drain three-quarters of the water out of the hot water tank, and isolate the tank from the outside cold-water supply via a valve on the top of the tank.
What do the professionals think of this idea?

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

it works sometimes, but open the safety valve on top of the tank, or a hot water faucet, preferably the bathtub, elsewhere so the water has a place to flow. You do not have to drain any water out of the water heater tank.

Reply To This Message

Author: JOE (PA)

Worth a try, How about an air compresser. What do you have to lose at this point?
How about forcing a stiff wire back into the pipe if it is close to the blokage you might just might get lucky.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Moving water will move a blockage better than moving air.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.