Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 galvanized pipe torque
Author: morays (TX)

Firstly thanks for the help you have all given me in the past from this website. This should be a simple one...

What is the correct torque setting for 1/2" galvanized pipe? I am using galvanized pipe for the exit from the wall into the shower stall for rigidity (CPVC run elsewhere) and wanted to make sure i didn't overtighten or undertighten for that matter.

Re: galvanized pipe torque
Author: redwood (CT)

The correct torque is more like an impact at the base of the skull for the person who told you to do it this way. Return the galv. and use copper or brass with and adapter that has brass threads for the pipe to attach to.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Edited 1 times.

OK. I have no problem using brass instead. That still leaves me the question of what torque it should be set to?

Wrap it with teflon tape and put teflon paste on top of the tape. Now heres the interesting part. There is no torque specification that you would torque it to. In piping the thread is a tapered thread and fittings have to line up so there is some leeway as to how tight you make it. Generally on the last turn you have to decide is this where I stop or do i go one moe time around, will I make it that far. You are using probably 1/2" in your application so 12" pipe wrenches will not get you in trouble. Unless of course you are a real knuckle dragger. If that is the case smaller wrenches may be in order! The galvanized will create corrosion problems in the future if you use it.

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Edited 1 times.

Author: PD (MN)

If you are using all factory manufactured parts (fittings and pipe nipples) the general "rule of thumb" is to tighten the fittings until there are approx. three threads left exposed. This guidline allong with the use of teflon tape and pipe-dope will usually eliiminate the need for a lot of torque in tightening the fittings.

Edited 1 times.

Thanks all for the usual quick response

Author: RG1

The book value for the thread engagement if your using 1/2 inch ips threaded material is 1/2 inch if you go with 3/4 " it will be 9/16 inch. hope that helps. i would not go with the three thread exposed method as the one who threaded the pipe may have threaded it short or long (run)causing you to either not tighten enough or kill the fitting. generally we tighten to what we call plumbers feel but that can take some time to develop. do use some teflon tape or lamp wick and some pipe dope over that. and only on the exposed threads on the pipe not inside the fitting. leave the tape or lamp wick off of the first thread to make engagement easier. good luck let us know how you made out.

Author: dlh (TX)

i say turn till it wont turn anymore and then go one more time. never had a leak following that advice

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Author: hj (AZ)

You may undertighten it, but will not overtighten it unless you use a much larger wrench than you should. There is no way to give a torque setting that would mean anything.

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

Because field made threads, and even factory made nipple threads, vary condsiderably from the actual ANSI specs, there is no way to specify torque. Also the type of metal or metals, and the sealant used, all will cause the torque to vary/

Threads really vary when we start talking about fittings made on the other side of that international dateline.

Author: packy (MA)

on 1/2" pipe, use a 10" pipe wrench.

Edited 1 times.

Author: plumb-bobII (VA)

Thanks Coach!laughing

Someone who doesn't know how tight to make a joint is definitely not going to know what "lamp wick" is, and that was never an "approved" sealant anyway. It was to stop leaks in connections which were not done correctly in the first place;

That or an apprentice trying to impress the boss.

Author: plumb-bobII (VA)

May not have been "approved" but very effective!

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.