Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 525,000 Posts in over 155k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions keeping all positive and with no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Americast bath tub quality?
Author: shektbg (MO)

Hey all... I am putting a full bath in my basement and am ready for the tub. I was wondering if anyone has any insights into the American Standard Americast bathtubs? How do they rank in terms of quality, etc? I dont want a really expensive tub as this bath won't get used much, but I want something decent. The tub from Lowe's fits right into my pricerange and it appears nice, with lifetime warranty... but how does it hold up? Any pros/cons about the Americast material?

Thanks!

Reply To This Message

Re: Americast bath tub quality?
Author: coach606 (IL)

I'm not sure if it's the same material but we recently installed a Victoria and Albert "Englishcast" tub. Seems like a great item to me, right in between cast iron and acrylic. I personally do not like the plasticky feel of acrylic. My tub feels pretty nice.

Assuming "Americast" and "Englishcast" are largely the same, I think pretty highly of it. Just my opinion. Good luck.

Reply To This Message

Author: tomtoo (CA)

Hi, if you do a search for "americast" for the last 90 days on this board, you'll see quite a few opinions from knowledgeable folks...the more opinions the merrier and at least that will be a start until one responds here.

Reply To This Message

Author: jerco (MD)

An Americast tub is simply an enameled steel tub with a thick (1/4" + or -) plastic coating all around it to make it less tinny and more insulated. It is a fine product even though Cast Iron is many times better but a regular steel tub is many time worse.

The only issue I have with Americast tubs is that it is impossible for a normal sized person to use it as a bath tub. It is way too shallow. If you plan on using it as a bath tub I would HIGHLY recommend that you get the 17" high model (32"wide) instead of the 14" high (30" wide). It's "only" a couple hundred dollars more (a small amount in the grand scheme of a bathroom installation).

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

But a big factor if the toilet is only set 15" center, away from the smaller tub. And how many people actually "fill" the tub with water?

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: jerco (MD)

I'd guess about 20 million people (in the U.S.).

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

When it comes to "filling" the tub, I think you are high by a factor of four or so. Many users just fill it about 6"-10". Any more and the water from the tank is cold and it takes a lot longer before the tub is ready to use.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.