Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 515,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Sterling Neo Angle Shower door alignment
Author: jdef (PA)

HELP!!!
I've been through several contractors who wanted to steer clear of the installation of the Neo Angle shower kit that I purchased at Lowes. Finally, I have the base, the walls and the shower glass enclosure installed. All by separate people. The shower door was installed initially with the opening to the left. However, when entering the shower all the water sprayed out into the bathroom and all over the floor. So, we had my brother come back and flip the door. NOW, the door won't close. The magnetic seal just won't catch. The manufacturer sent a new magnetic strip thinking that it may have become polarized, but it's not the problem. Is there a simple solution to make the door stay closed without dismantling the entire glass enclosure. We're about ready to take the whole thing down and hire a shower door contractor to come in with their own product!!! any suggestions would be most helpful.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Re: Sterling Neo Angle Shower door alignment
Author: redwood (CT)

Return it? They are clearly not a shining moment in Kohler history.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj

If the door fit properly originally, and all you did was reverse it and not it does not fit, then something has to be twisted, but without being there to check it we cannot determine the real problem.

Reply To This Message

I don't see any twists or misalignments...just move the hinge pin and the door frames from right to left. could be the side walls are just a little off. but i can't judge without removing all the screws. i thought if someone had experience in installing these things - they might have come across this before. thank you.

Reply To This Message

Tell you the truth... I haven't installed one of those yet... If tried to repair more than a few leakers with very limited success. Most of the leaking problems I'm seeing are associated with them being set on a sloped floor and the lip is not enough to contain the water between the base and the sides. Or, it dumps just outside the unit next to the wall. Problems with the doors sealing are usually from walls that are out of plumb.

Reply To This Message

Author: plumb-bobII (VA)

I've done quite a bit of them,(not Sterling, doors in general) but the key is to do it right the FIRST time. With shower doors, you don't get any "do-overs". The last time I made a mistake on one, it wound up in the dumpster and a new one installed.:cry:

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

"I've been through several contractors who wanted to steer clear of the installation of the Neo Angle shower kit" The key to this can be found in the Kenny Rogers tune. Something about knowing when to walk away and when to run.

Reply To This Message

sounds like plumbers have a unique outlook on their line of work. Hoping that someone out there has met with my problem and has a simple solution before i have to start from scratch again. this has been more than frustrating. thanks. :S

Reply To This Message

Author: plumb-bobII (VA)

I have met with your problem, and explained it. Time to get a new one, now the beauty of your problem, is it's an inexpensive door. Mine was about 5x as much as that one. Back to the big box!

Reply To This Message

:cry:

Reply To This Message

Author: jerco (MD)

Wait a minute jdef in PA. (I THINK) About an inch or two away from each hinge pin (on the top and bottom) there is a screw with a square top. If you unscrew them, a little, the door will be able to slide to anywhere you want it. Slide it to a point where the magnets are contacting each other from top to bottom. I may be thinking of an Alumax Door though.

Reply To This Message

Those compound angles are what gives everyone the trouble... Very unforgiving!

Reply To This Message

Thank you for a constructive answer (jerco (md). My husband is about to throw in the door....I would still like to try to salvage this one. At least until we can tell if it will leak. I know that when it was being installed there were two spacers placed in the tracks by the wall. It just seems that much of the unit needs to be disassembled to attempt this. Thank you again. :grin:

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: diamondnight (NY)

I have been trying to install the Sterling Neo-angle shower kit purchased from Lowes all day today (Sunday).
The holes in the glass walls don't match up at all with the C brackets and jambs. The jambs do not resemble the diagrams, and the only differentiation given for the glass fixed panels is that the one next to the pivot ships with the magnet in the jamb. Well neither had a magnet in the jamb. How hard would it be to label which panel is which. The instructions show diagrams of the panels being identical, but they are very different. Very shoddy product. What should have been a snap turned into hours of frustration and anger. I have tested the 'magnetic' strips right out of the box and they don't appear to attract anything.. maybe that's the problem. This is my second and last Kohler product. The kitchen fawcet I paid $110 for, leaked fom inside the valve within months and the plumber I called said I got the 'one in a million' that was defective. I will be calling Kohler tomorrow at 1-888-sterling.

Reply To This Message

Author: kt0t (MN)

Our plumber left in disgust tonight - the Sterling kit is not going together like it should.

The door closing failure might be related to the orientation of the magnetic strip in the slot on the side wall - there is an offset groove on the side of the black strip that indicates magnetic polarity. If the door won't close, try pulling the strip out and put it back in with the groove shifted towards the other edge of the slot. Give it a try - it slides in and out easily.

Bob

Reply To This Message

Author: jamesf (NY)

I think I am greatful I read these posts efor purchasing this obvoiusly flawed product. Unfortunately I still need the space-saving feature of this style. Can anyone out there advise me on a good Neo-Angle shower product to buy?

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: How to show an image
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms