Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 525,000 Posts in over 155k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions keeping all positive and with no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 sewer smell during washing machine drain cycle
Author: rebotim (OH)

I recently connected a new washing machine to a new standpipe installation. It looks great. It works (drains water) great but doesn't smell so great.

When the washing machine isn't operating, all is well (there is also small half bath on the same vent system). No "sewer smells" from anything (the standpipe, nor the half bath) When the washing machine operates, I get the sewer smell (although I haven't been able to pinpoint(maybe my nose is bad) it coming from the top of the standpipe). Once the washer stops the smell goes away.

In the wall I have a 2" standpipe going into a trap which I then tie into the vent system, roughly 3' from the main stack. all 2" pvc. (4" stack, 1.5" vent)

wm
x
x vent
x x
x x
x xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
x x
x main stack

From reading other posts, I see that improper venting is the common culprit for a lingering smell after a wash cycle is done (trap getting sucked dry), but I didn't see any posts for what typically causes the smell to occur only during the wm cycle.

Any suggestions?

Reply To This Message

Re: sewer smell during washing machine drain cycle
Author: rebotim (OH)

ok, my "x" diagram didn't translate too well.

2"standpipe ~3'High into
2" trap
moving horizontally about 6"
I vent the line,
and then move horizontally again ~3 feet to the main stack.

Reply To This Message

Re: sewer smell during washing machine drain cycle
Author: oncall

I have seen one install like yours that had a similar odor. What I found was the stand pipe was filling during the pump cycle then clearing/syphoning the stand pipe and pulling the trap dry before overflowing. So, I was able to get to the trap under the floor and increase the trap size to 3" PVC which fixed the odor issue. I got lucky because I could get to the trap. Also, make sure your main trap isn't partially blocked in some way?...

Good luck, Gerry

Gerry in PA.

You can always do it right the second time.....free!

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.