Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 515,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Frozen vent pipe roof vent
Author: sbergerson (MN)

The temperature has been around zero for the past week. All the traps in my new house are getting sucked dry when the washing machine empties. I know from prior experience that my 4 inch roof vent is frosted shut.

About 10 years ago, I learned the simple cure... Cut the vent pipe off at about a 45 degree angle. By doing this, you increase the size of the opening and the frost will not be able to go from one side to the other like it can in a square cut vent.

Just got down off the roof.... should be the last time.

Hope this helps somebody.

Reply To This Message

Re: Frozen vent pipe roof vent
Author: PlumberManDan (IA)

That is a good idea, It may not look very good from the street but I bet it will work for you. You would not have had to slice it at a 45, Oh, BTW, What size pipe is it that you were working on? And is it the ONLY VTR on the house?

PlumbCat TM 2003

Plumbermandan

Reply To This Message

Author: oncall

I wonder if it would help to put a "hook" or an upside down trap on the vent to act as a condensation buffer. Then paint that sucker black to collect heat. I'm glad it doesn't get that cold here....usually!;)

Gerry

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

It can either do it down lower, or just take longer to to around the larger circumference.

Reply To This Message

Author: Edmplumber (Non-US)

I've never heard of 4" freezing shut, and I live in Canada where it is -20F right now but it gets a lot colder than that. Thats a good tip though. I'm sure I will use it someday because when I drive down the street there are some scabs who put 2" through the roof(which is to code but not realistic here). I only put 4" through.

Reply To This Message

Author: Donavon (MN)

I connect my clothes dryer exhaust vent up to my septic vent pipe clean out (in the basement) and run about 10 minutes of hot air up the pipe. It melts all the ice and I'm good until the next arctic blast. I don't need to go up on the roof and my wife stops doing the genetically predisposed verbiage.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: How to show an image
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms