Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Americast vs. cast iron
Author: mrosspa (CA)

I've tried to search this information on the web with no success.

Is there any difference between and American Standard Americast sink and a traditional cast iron sink?

We are replacing our counter top and will also replace our cast iron sink. After looking, the only 2 undermount sinks we liked was a white Kohler cast iron sink or the white American Standard "Americast" sink.

I can't find any information about the difference in a cast iron sink and the "Americast" sink. Yea, I know one weighs less, but why?

I'll probably have more questions later.

Michael

Reply To This Message

Re: Americast vs. cast iron
Author: pipes9876 (NJ)

Cast Iron is cast Iron

Americast is blended steel with a better enamel than standard enamelled steel.

Americast is OK, Cast iron is the best

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

The Americast is a steel sink with a "foam" coating underneath and a polymer finish. It is not as stain free as cast iron, (but will clean up), and if it gets chipped it requires a special repair process compared to cast iron.

Reply To This Message

Author: joint-runner (MA)

Why not Corian if your doing the tops and the sink.Cast iron's so 1980.

Reply To This Message

Author: mrosspa (CA)

Since you asked:

The solid surface is granite. My wife doesn't like the metal sinks, (copper, stainless steel, etc.) and most married men know that if the issue isn't critical... the wife wins.

I just hate the idea of installing a sink, only to realize I should have chosen something else.

I'm also a low maintenance person, and staining of surface is important to me; as is the ease of repair of the cast iron vs. americast chips.

Thanks!

Michael

Reply To This Message

Author: e-plumber (NY)

I've seen some pretty beat up Americast kitchen sinks, they can't keep up with cast iron, now bathtubs are another story, especially if it's on the second or third floor...besides they're >not< subjected to such abuse.

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -
John William Gardner 10/8/1912 - 2/16/2002

Repair your leaking Plumbing fixtures ASAP [www.theplumber.com]
This slow drip will waste 7+ gallons of water per day.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

Americast is a thick polymer molded form, with a very thin steel layer pressed on, then porcelain enamel finish just like cast iron. The advantage is the weight. You need a VERY sturdy support system to hold up a cast iron undermount. I have seen one to many where the customer calls because the caulk joint is "failing" and when you look, the sink has dropped a half inch. Now, cast iron is great, and about the same price, and it is certainly possible to install it correctly. WIth any undermount sink, make sure your countertop people know what they are doing.

Reply To This Message

Author: joint-runner (MA)

mrosspa,nothing nicer than a 10" deep undermount Franke ss sink with granite.But the wife always wins.I can't think the last time we set a CI sink.

Reply To This Message

Americast vs. cast iron
Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Enamel-iron is the generic term used by manufacturers which a Enamel coating is attached to cast iron material.

Americast, may be AS trade name for the consumer products.

Reply To This Message

Rubbing some pans or utensils across an Americast sink can leave a dark smudge, that will clean up. According to my fixture repair company, Americast is more like a plastic coating to repair, rather than enamel.

Reply To This Message

Author: oncall

if they are the only 2 choices....go with "real" cast.

personally, I'm not a big fan of cast sinks in the kitchen. They seem great in the design center, or from an old school POV, but from a functionality stand point, I'd go with SS or a composite. You'll see my point the first time you drop a glass in the sink from a distance of more than 1/16th of an inch!

but I'm splitting hairs, whatever you choose will be nice.

Gerry

Reply To This Message

If dropping a glass 1/16" will damage the sink, then I guess you just shouldn't drop the glass. But I think my wife has done it once or twice without damaging the sink. Can't say the same for the glass, however.

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

i always ask people "do you want to look at scratches or chips?"
cast iron is more resistant to scratches but more easily chipped. opposite is true for americast.

Reply To This Message

Author: cimaplumber (NC)

Americast sinks are notoriously unreliable and the American Standard no longer honors their warranty against chips, scratches, or other incidental damage. This is a problem because Americast sinks are very easy to damage. These sinks cannot hold up under normal household conditions. If it were a shoe, it could not be walked in without severe damage to the sole. If American Standard were the company manufacturing the shoe, they would claim that there was no manufacture warranty claim because the shoe’s sole was damaged by contact with the ground. Thus, the Americast sink is a product only to admire, not to use. They've basically built a product that will deteriorate under the conditions it is supposed to endure. After all, it is a sink...not an egg.

One woman I installed an Americast sink was simply washing it when she pressed against the rim and a piece of the finish cracked and fell out. Of course, it wasn’t under warranty according to American Standard.

Basically, the sink is made out of composite material with a thin piece of tin adhered, and porcelain applied to the tin. American Standard informed me that the tin was in fact iron. However, when iron is rolled to that particular thinness it is called tin. The tin and composite material provides virtually no support for the porcelain. Thus, when it is bumped even slightly, the flexibility of the tin over composite material allows the porcelain to crack.

In my opinion, it is a bad product that American Standard is attempting to distance itself from. My advice to every consumer is to distance themselves from Americast sinks and American Standard.

Reply To This Message

Author: theman101 (PA)

Americast sinks are notoriously unreliable and the American Standard no longer honors their warranty against chips, scratches, or other incidental damage. This is a problem because Americast sinks are very easy to damage. These sinks cannot hold up under normal household conditions. If it were a shoe, it could not be walked in without severe damage to the sole. If American Standard were the company manufacturing the shoe, they would claim that there was no manufacture warranty claim because the shoe’s sole was damaged by contact with the ground. Thus, the Americast sink is a product only to admire, not to use. They've basically built a product that will deteriorate under the conditions it is supposed to endure. After all, it is a sink...not an egg.

One woman I installed an Americast sink was simply washing it when she pressed against the rim and a piece of the finish cracked and fell out. Of course, it wasn’t under warranty according to American Standard.

Basically, the sink is made out of composite material with a thin piece of tin adhered, and porcelain applied to the tin. American Standard informed me that the tin was in fact iron. However, when iron is rolled to that particular thinness it is called tin. The tin and composite material provides virtually no support for the porcelain. Thus, when it is bumped even slightly, the flexibility of the tin over composite material allows the porcelain to crack.

In my opinion, it is a bad product that American Standard is attempting to distance itself from. My advice to every consumer is to distance themselves from Americast sinks and American Standard.

cimaplumber,
You have posted alot of very incorrect information to confuse people....not cool.
First, I think you may need to go back to 7th grade science, tin is its own element...has its own number on the periodic table...as does Iron. Iron and tin are NOT the same....tin is NOT rolled iron...and Americast IS made with steel...not Iron, OR tin. You were very confused.

I have beat the hell out of our Americast products, as well as my customers..they are generally rough on theirs also.
We love them, and have had MANY happy customers.

Reply To This Message

Author: classicrider (VA)

I have been in the remodeling business for 30+ years. When I redid my kitchen I installed an Americast sink. Never again! It scratches easily and and next to impossible to get the scratches out that have discolored with day to day dirt. I will have to replace the sink when I sell my house. I will not use Americast again. (td)

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.