Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 air admittance valve
Author: gigisabi (CT)

I have a emanating "rotten egg" sewer smell coming from under my kitchen sink. I believe theres a problem with the air admittance valve located under the kitchen sink. I thought that you can only use an AAV for plumbing an island sink. Is this to plumbing code (AAV) for the state of Connecticut.

Reply To This Message

Re: air admittance valve
Author: e-plumber (NY)

Probably is legal unless local code prohibits their use, replace the AAV with a Studor brand valve, see if the odor dissipates.

Can you post a picture of the kitchen sink drain piping?

www.photobucket.com or similar then provide a link to it here.

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -
John William Gardner 10/8/1912 - 2/16/2002

Repair your leaking Plumbing fixtures ASAP [www.theplumber.com]
This slow drip will waste 7+ gallons of water per day.

Reply To This Message

Author: sonofacanuck (Non-US)

Oatley makes a good AAV. Pricey, but worth it.

Reply To This Message

Author: sonofacanuck (Non-US)

[www.oatey.com]?

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

GOOD and AAV in the same sentence? I didn't think it was possible.

Reply To This Message

Author: amhplumb (PA)

How old is this AAV? They are mechanical devices and are going to wear out! I am an old school plumber and believe that traditional venting should be required in all new and major remodeling work, period! However, I also believe that AAV's have there place in minor repair & remodeling work e.g. replacing an S-trap with a P-trap, on existing fixtures where no vent was before, etc. "Something is better than nothing!!!" Look into the Oatey AAV, or another heavy duty one(like anything else, you get what you pay for!), as recommended by another poster. In your case, the cost of opening walls and running a vent just for the sake of installing one can't be justified. However, if you ever do a major kitchen remodel!

Reply To This Message

Author: redwood (CT)

I would see what it would take to put in a loop vent. It might be possible to pick up a vent if the sink was elsewhere before the island sink. AAV's are a vent of last resort because they stink.

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

cost is not a consideration in massachusetts. air admitance valves are verbotten. (did i spell that right hj?)

Reply To This Message

Je ne sais pas. Je ne parle pas Allemande. But it looks right and we get what you mean.

Reply To This Message

AAV's are a vent of last resort because they stink.

He knows that because it was the reason he was posting the question.

Reply To This Message

Author: royboy (SC)

I've had a few problems with both Oatey and Studor. I doubt that those old black ones that come on mobile homes and sell for about a buck would be any worse. ( I can't believe I'm suggesting a non-code approved device)

Reply To This Message

Author: amhplumb (PA)

No Pun intended HJ? I like that!

Reply To This Message

Author: jerco (MD)

They stink when they stop sucking.

Reply To This Message

Author: redwood (CT)

Good one Jerco! ;-D

Reply To This Message

Author: gigisabi (CT)

My home was completed this year (April 2006). I moved into this NEWLY built home May 2006. So I'm assuming it's an issue with the builder and plumber. The smell "REEKS" soooo bad. I called Town Hall and they will be sending a plumbing inspector to see if it's to code...Thank you

Reply To This Message

Author: e-plumber (NY)

This type of info should be in the ORIGINAL post.

It's not your problem, (except for the unfortunate smell of course), let the Builder & Plumber deal with it and it appears that they are not if you had to resort to contacting the Building Department.

Good Luck.

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -
John William Gardner 10/8/1912 - 2/16/2002

Repair your leaking Plumbing fixtures ASAP [www.theplumber.com]
This slow drip will waste 7+ gallons of water per day.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995 The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.