Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Where to buy structolite ? And what material under?
Author: scarywoody (OR)

I went to Lowes and Home Depot and asked about structolite. Nobody had ever heard of it. Never thought to ask about gypsum.....does HD or lowes have a similar product? Also when i was trying to explain this to the plumbing guy..he said use mortar, but make sure you put down some felt paper, so the moisture doesn't get sucked into the plywood. Should I put some down?

Reply To This Message

Re: Where to buy structolite ? And what material under?
Author: e-plumber (NY)

Structolite I believe is a brand name, ask for gypsum mix.
A plumbing or building supply would stock it, even a good hardware store.
I don't use felt or tar paper under it, it dries too quickly if you mix it dry.

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -
John William Gardner 10/8/1912 - 2/16/2002

Repair your leaking Plumbing fixtures ASAP [www.theplumber.com]
This slow drip will waste 7+ gallons of water per day.

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

mortar shrinks a tiny bit but i have used it and not had a problem.
you aren't building a swimming pool. you are just giving some additional support to the tub/shower. if every square inch is not supported, it will still be srtong enough.
someone posted the other day about scoring lines in the material with their fingers.
a bit too much under the tub/shower can be a disaster. a bit too little will still work.

Reply To This Message

Author: jerco (MD)

Every HD I've been in stocks Structolite. The people that work there just don't know it. I just did a job for a guy who was purchasing all the materials himself. I told him early on about the need for Structolite. He went to the HD near his home and asked everyone there where the Structolite was. Nobody knew what he was talking about. He even went to the info desk and they told him they don't carry anything like that. I promised the guy that HD DID have it, so he went to a different one with the same results. The next day, while I was on the way to his house, I stopped at the HD near his home to look for myself, and the second isle I walked down (near all the bags of concrete) I saw about 30 bags of Structolite Stacked up large as day. So I sent my guy back there and he bought 3 bags and gave those @#$%& an ear full.
In summation I say ... look (thoroughly) for yourself.
I have never looked for it at Lowes.

Reply To This Message

interesting. I'll head back there tomorrow and scour every aisle.

Reply To This Message

Author: steve_g (CA)

I was in HD the other day & asked two employees where I could find a hasp. I even spelled it - they just didn't know what a hasp is.

Reply To This Message

Where to buy structolite and where not to.

Many times you're better off NOT go to the big box stores. Here they are very busy almost any time you go, yeah you can maybe save a little money but you end up waiting in line to check out. Time is money.
There's about 7 HD's in a 10 mile radius around here, (that I know about) and I make every attempt to avoid all of them.

Support local independently owned Plumbing and Building supplies and hardware stores.

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -

Reply To This Message

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

StructoLite is a brand name. It may also be known as GypCrete, and there may be other local brand names.

Reply To This Message

yeah I looked all over again and didn't see it at HD or Lowes. I did however find products that I think are similar and will maybe work. I also checked ACE hardware.

Plaster of paris

DAP webpatch90 [www.dap.com]

fix-it-all
[www.custombuildingproducts.com]

Will these work?

Reply To This Message

Use gypsum or mortar mix. Plaster of Paris would probably work but it sets up much to quickly to work with when mixing it dry and forget about patching compound. Thank Goodness I don't have to look that hard for it, Whew!

e-plumber

Reply To This Message

Author: plumbhelp (MA)

this is a light concrete mix. it works well under tubs, shower units that require some type of additional support. it is more readilly avallible at a lumber yard, or bigger hardware store. the manu. instructions will suggest if u need this type of additional support. FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY.

Reply To This Message

Re: Where to buy structolite and where not to.
Author: PlumberManDan (IA)

The HD here has self checkouts, I use it everytime I have standard merchandise, I get in and out in half the time.

PlumbCat TM 2003

Plumbermandan

Reply To This Message

Those are usually backed up as well or not working.
Maybe it's me but HD is a last ditch effort to buy anything and never anything Plumbing-wise.

e-plumber

Reply To This Message

Author: steve_g (CA)

Just about every time I use the self-service checkout, the voice tells me that 'there is an unexpected item in the bagging area', and I give up & got to a regular checkout.

E-plumber is completely correct. You'll spend so much time saving $0.79 it can't be worth it. Not to mention the non-existent help. Lord help you if you need advice.

Reply To This Message

AWESOME! A good friend of mine joined in my structo-lite search and she found a building supply store thats like 15 minutes away that has structo-lite. I am now the proud ownder of a 50lb back of stucto-lite. wooohoooo Although the day wasn't all good when i figured out i needed to drop my shower valve down about 3 inches. Ah well guess i'll get some more practice with the copper welding.

Reply To This Message

Author: redwood (CT)

Why do you need to drop the valve 3"?

Reply To This Message

Well I didn't realize it, but the prefab shower walls have little alcoves in them. I didn't realize the all 3 sides have the same one. And my shower valve just happens to be right in the middle of a shelf. You'd think i would have checked that, but no.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: redwood (CT)

Ah, that is a good reason. Its tough to get a water tite seal when you put the bezel on across a shelf. It takes a lot of silicone caulk and looks a little messy.

Reply To This Message

Author: zbest85 (MA)

You will normally find Structolite stocked near Unikal and Diamond veneer plaster at the big boxes.
Look for it in the entrance to the contractors (lumber) entrance.

Reply To This Message

Author: elgato (AZ)

I could not find it this evening at my HD either. Ace Hardware?

How much is it?

Is it better or easier to work with than mortar mix?

Is a 50lb bag of either enough for a 34x54 Swanstone pan on a slab?

Thank You
Tom

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995 The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.