Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 toe kick heater monoflo T explanation
Author: marklevinson1 (NJ)

Hi,

I remodeling my kitchen. I have hot water baseboard heat and I am replacing a baseboard heating unit with a toe kick heater as I am placing cabinets along that wall. I have worked up a diagram as to how I am going to proceed with the connections. You can see that here: [img386.imageshack.us].

When asking around about the number of monoflo T's I will need, I seem to get conflicting advice. In my setup I currently have one monoflo T on the return side and a regular T on the supply side. I live in a ranch with the boiler in the basement and the kitchen on the main floor of the house. Is this setup ok or will I need to have monoflo T's on both the supply and return? Either way, would someone explain how the monoflo's work with this setup? I know it has something to do with increasing the water flow with a venturi, I just would like an official explanation. Thanks,

Mark

Re: toe kick heater monoflo T explanation
Author: hj (AZ)

Actually it is restricting the flow through the tee with the "scoop". Since all the water cannot go through the tee, the excess is forced to take the alternate path. However, if the alternate path has more resistance than the piping between the two tees, then the lateral flow will be reduced. That is why some heating devices, especially those below the level of the main, require two Mono-Flo tees.

Author: packy (MA)

i like to put the monoflo tee on the supply side rather than the return side. turn the scoop or baffle so it forces the water up into the heater and returns down into the full size tee.
it will work either way.
the 12" between tees is important. you have to give the water a chance to "straighten out" from the turbulance created by the monoflo tee.

Author: hj (AZ)

You also have to create some resistance between them which is why some sources recommend that there be an elbow between the two tees if they are too close together.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.