Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Toilet Trap Diameter
Author: jkeefeholmes

I am doing a garage conversion to an apt for a relative and need to assure the toilet is the least likely to clog as I can. Is the trap diameter the key thing in this aspect? This person has a bit more than average clogs due to diet I suspect. Maybe 1 every 4 or 5 weeks.

In addition this person is handicapped and needs a higher elevated one, bigger size etc, though I guess my contractor can do something to elevate it if neccesary.

I have seen some that have a small square flap or door near the bottom on the side. Is this to assist in unclocgging? I don't understand what thats for.How could you get at a closed pipe. Not sure what that littel trap door is for. Totos brand

What are the best non cloggers, is the trap diameter the key thing too look for? most so far seem to be within 1/16" of each other so I have to wonder if thats very important or not. Any advice would be apprecaited. I am told 'commercial' types have large traps and that would help. ?? Thanks.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Re: Toilet Trap Diameter
Author: hj (AZ)

The size of the toilet's waterway is a factor, but whether the toilet uses the flush water efficiently is just as important. That "door" is to allow it to be connected to the pipe, not to unplug it.

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

in addition, some toilets have a glazed trapway. this helps things slide along easier.

Reply To This Message

Author: jkeefeholmes

Thanks for the replies so far. I found this re a $93 toilet (tank not included) AMerican Standard Champion

Industry's largest siphon outlet (2-3/8";), fully glazed with no choke points, virtually eliminates clogging
High flow 3" flush valve design allows maximum, water flow using only 1.6 gpf

What is the siphon outlet, this one seems to be a lot bigger than avergage, at least accdg to their diagam. Is this siphone outlet signifciant in anti clogging?

Reply To This Message

Author: redwood (CT)

I'd avoid that toilet! Its a junker!

Read this thread!
[www.plbg.com]

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

just read thru post 1,273147. talking about A/S champion 3 coming with 400A or yellow junker ballcock. could the toilets from the big box stores come with yellow junker ballcocks and plated steel bolts, while the toilets from plumbing supply houses come with 400A and brass bolts?

Reply To This Message

Author: steve (CA)

I just installed a Cadet3 from the Depot, with a 400A and brass bolts.

Reply To This Message

Author: redwood (CT)

Sounds like the boat came in with the right parts... What was wrong with it?

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995 The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.