Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 I want a toilet that really flushes!
Author: cnl390 (TX)

I have a cabin on a septic tank with a 60' run to the tank. Can anyone recommend a moderately priced toilet that will give a really good flush. The cabin is going to be used mostly by guys as a hunting cabin so you know why I need a good flush,

Re: I want a toilet that really flushes!
Author: ncor

Toto leave it to the Japanese to manufacture a crapper that works.
sticker shock wears off the second you watch that monster log head down stream; best effect of all no brown streaks remaining means less toilet brush action.

Edited 1 times.

Author: pipes9876 (NJ)

Aa the other post suggests, Toto, I would recommend the Toto Drake, I put one in my own home. The Drake is a two piece, and not that expensive.

Author: redwood (CT)

The Toto Drake as others already suggested is an excellent choice. Other favorites among us here at the forum are the Kohler Cimmeron and the Eljer Titan. The aggrement is also there that Am Std makes a crappy crapper. The following link is to a report on flush testing results for all popular brands/models of toilets. I would look at that and bear in mind that it is only a flush test and not a quality test. The models already cited are ones that we have installed and used enough to feel that the quality is there along with performance. I would avoid getting a pressure assisted unit as it can be and expensive unit to repair when the over complicated mechanism fails. Like a simple handle becomes a $40 part instead of a $5 part.

[www.cwwa.ca]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Author: CD1114

Get the new American Standard Cadet 3! This toilet blows ToTo away as far as performance and price (about $200 less for the cadet 3). Know the difference of an AM.Std Champion and regular Cadet. The Cadet 3 is a new product I swear is going to be the standard for toilet installs. Stay away from the overpriced ToTo, you get a better value with the Cadet 3.

Good Luck!

Yea, Am Std manufactured in Mexico, Guatamala, Brazil, or, Dominacan Republic... Zinc plated tank to bowl bolts and about 50% defective out of the box... My choice for a high quality toilet! I only install them customer supplied and if there is a defect the customer pays twice for the installation.

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Redwood,

You probably never even seen the new Cadet 3. You hate American Standard so much that you will never give it a good review, kind of like another guy on the Net. Consumers want the best value for their dollar. The Cadet 3 costs $200 less than a ToTo Drake & is built like a brick ****house (no pun intended). Accept the fact that A/S made a new product that is better in performance and price than the overpriced ToTo. Your customers will appreciate it too when they can save $200.

Kind Regards
CD

Edited 2 times.

I won't see one in my house! I installed a customer supplied one Thursday. Zinc plated steel bolts I put in brass, and wouldn't you know it the fill valve wouldn't shut off... Right out of the box... Replaced it with a fluidmaster 400A should be good to go! Now after that additional cost they could have spent less money and had a Toto Drake!

Edited 1 times.

Author: dlh (TX)

it may perform as well as the others mentioned but what of the quality?...there is a big difference there...why pay $200 less for a toilet you are most liklely going to have to replace in the near future?

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

You replaced a defective fill valve on an A/S CADET 3 with a Fluidmaster 400A?????

That's strange, the new Cadet 3 comes with a Fluidmaster 400A fill valve!

Are you sure you were installing a Cadet 3?

And yes, this model is built better than the ToTo Drake. You won't be replacing this one.

Edited 1 times.

Author: dlh (TX)

if it is made in mexico or futher south i wouldnt install it

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

The real answer to your question just might be in your title.

ToTo Drake is the real McCoy. It has been since it was invented over 12 years ago. The ToTo Drake has set the standard for world plumbing industry.

Others have followed, while trying their best to imitate the best designed residental toilet flushing system. Whether the rest have succeeded, remains to be seen. Some think they have, while others think not.

Cost is really relative. For you, efficient is everything. If it doesn't work, you are stuck in a cabin with a bunch of guys. That is not a very pretty thought.

ToTo-Drake is more reasonable than the price for fine dining, for a party of 6. And it will last you much longer...

Best Wishes!

Author: Scott D. Plumber (VA)

I have a Champion in my home and everyone hates it. Loud, sometimes leaves TP stuck inside the rim, sometimes the flush cup dew hicky doesn't catch the tower device to raise it. (Whoever invented that needs to be fired)

I would try the cadet 3 but only if AS would replace my champion with it for free! I know the champion cost more but I would take the hit to get rid of it.

My Eljer Titan works great.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Give your kids a great start on the future! Encourage them learn a trade. Even if they go on to do other things, it's always nice to know that they have something to fall back on. Call your local technical training center or trade school to learn more.

CD, The Am Std Cadet 3 was definitly what it was! Even said so on the box. I don't know if the boat to the island was delayed by a Gulf of Mexico hurricane and they ran out of Fluidmaster 400A fill valves or what but this toilet had a piece of yellow and black plastic junk in it that would not shut off. It came up to the fill line quick then shut down except for a really low hiss that sent water over the top in about 15 minutes. Good thing I can still hear or I wouldn't have noticed it. Maybe its just loud in their testing area... Or, maybe their QC Inspector is blind and deaf... Or, maybe they don't have any QC... I'm thinking its the last one.

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

A.S. stopped using their proprietary yellow fill valve a few years ago, because it was no good. I would be disappointed if it turns out they are using it again. I believe if you call them, they should provide a Fluidmaster or a Korky Quiet Fill for free.

It was an all plastic yellow and black ballcock complete with a plastic arm and float. It wasn't that air tube sensor junk unit... It was just something I would have expected to see in a chinese toilet.

Author: ScorzPlumb (PA)

Gerber makes a good toilet. One, two, three to install. Your not going to find anything above 1.5 gals per flush. It's law. Want a 3 gal flush, goto Canada to buy it.

Its 1.6 gallons per flush!

Author: steve_g (CA)

Funny about American Standard. They've never been very 'standard', and now they're not particularly 'American'. Although as they get less American, they seem to get a little more Standard. They should probably rename the company to 'Non-American Non-Standard'.

And, as long as I'm typing, I vote for the Toto; I hate callbacks.

Author: jjbex (IL)

I have had good luck with Mansfield. The main reason I started installing them is because that's what the nearest supply house stocks. I yank the ballcock and throw in a Fluidmaster 400A. Like the Taco bell commercial, "good to go"

------------------

"You can't get there from here"
Berry/Buck/Mills/Stipe

Author: strap

jjbex- I install the mansfields too. Their tower flush valve is superior to the flapper. Eliminates alot of callbacks.

Author: jkeefeholmes

I am reading this thread as recommended in my own thread, regarding how my relative gets higher than average toilet clogs and we want a really good one that will minimzie clogging. Seems the Toto Drake is highly touted here by people apparetnly in the plumbing biz, now my question is, which toto drake? I go to their site and there are like 4 or 5 "Drakes"

The "Your Price" difference is insignifcant among them, am I best to get the most expensive one? Is one less likely to clog than the others? I appreciate it. They are fairly reasonbly priced really, if they are as good as everyone seems to think. I appreciate the help.

My orig thread is
[www.plbg.com]
where I wondered if trap diameter was the most signifciant thing but that doesn't seem to vary more than 1/16" on any that I have found. So I wuld guess theres far more involved in less clogging.

Edited 1 times.

The ADA height one actually flushes the best but they all flush great. Toto rounded all turns in the trapway, Glazed the inside of it, and enlarged the outlet.

An addition to the cadet 3 saga I was at the supply house yesterday and checked out the cadet 3 on display this one had brass bolts and a 400A... Guess they are consistantly inconsistant.

Author: Vinyard Plumbing (CA)

I like the Drake as well, (although it does come to us from Thailand) Gerber is good and so is Western.

More an more people don't want a pressure assisted anything anymore and the Toto's don't need the assistance with the larger flush valves trap ways and oulet
Of course Alot depends on what is being stocked locally,here I have no problem getting any one these mentioned here.if those other brands are working for you and you don't mind that homey sells them too, then go for it!

Low quality will "get you" where ever it is made, even locally, you can read this as USA. Sadly the days are gone when "made in the United States of America" mean't the best in quality.

Ty,

Author: vic (CA)

My Drake model is about 3 months old and I just looked under the lid and it clearly shows (in the porcelain itself) says "Made in USA."

Author: Vinyard Plumbing (CA)

Guess they have more than one plant Huh?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.