Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 515,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Can a portable dishwasher cause plumbing problems?
Author: paxetbonum (NY)

I need some help settling a dispute with my landlord. I recently purchased a portable dishwasher, after finally wearing my landlord down so he'd let me get it. Now there's some leaking in the apartment downstairs, and he's convinced it's the caused by the dishwasher. This in spite of the fact that the tenant there says there's been periodic leaking for years. I'm thinking it's a coincidence.

Anyway, for months my landlord told me I couldn't get it because he was concerned about the "pressure on his plumbing." I did a lot of research into portable dishwashers in general as well as the model I eventually purchased, and I could not find any evidence online of people having plumbing problems, pressure, leaks or any other type. I read reviews and called stores and manufacturers, and I was repeatedly told that it would cause no additional pressure on the plumbing.

So the question is, can a dishwasher hooked up to a sink faucet somehow add pressure to the system? And if this is actually possible, is there anything I can do to solve the problem? Or, was the leak a coincidence and does he just need to fix his plumbing?

Finally, regardless of the pressure question, are there any major concerns a landlord should have about allowing a portable dishwasher?

I'm looking for details so I can show him this thread as evidence to settle our disagreement. I certainly hope to keep my $400 convenience purchase, but if he's right I'd rather have an honest relationship with him and not risk losing my security deposit (for repairs) if the dishwasher is a problem, now or in the future.

I'm glad to have found such a knowledgable community. Thanks in advance for any knowledge you can offer.

Reply To This Message

Re: Can a portable dishwasher cause plumbing problems?
Author: e-plumber (NY)

1.) When the Landlord said he did not want a DW in HIS apartment, that should have been the end of the story.

2.) A portable dishwasher CAN cause problems, especially when connected to certain type faucets.

3.) The leak to the unit below is probably not from the DW unless there is water under it or under the KS cabinet, which would be obvious.

4.) The Landlords Plumber needs to be brought in to troubleshoot the leak to see if the cause is from your DW.

5.) "after finally wearing my landlord down" That statement alone would cause me to seriously consider not renewing your lease when it's up. I would think, "What's next with this tenant?".

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -
John William Gardner 10/8/1912 - 2/16/2002

Repair your leaking Plumbing fixtures ASAP [www.theplumber.com]
This slow drip will waste 7+ gallons of water per day.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

It can cause pressure problems in the faucet, but once the water enters the sink it is no differnt than if you ran the faucet into it. If it were a faucet problem, then you would have water in the cabinet under the sink. That is the only problem a portable DW can cause.

Reply To This Message

e-plumber -- thanks for the thoughts, esp. re: bringing a plumber to troubleshoot the leak. Can you specify the problems a portable dishwasher can cause, or what kind of faucets are problematic?

Do you agree with the other post here, which says the only problem it can cause is in the faucet, or directly under the sink (obviously I'm not seeing those issues).

Reply To This Message

The faucet that would have the most problem with it would be one with a "pull out spout" which a rental property would be very unlikely to have. Other than that a faucet with a worn spout or stem seal could leak due to the backpressure even though it might not leak if the DW were not connected.

Reply To This Message

But can this backpressure you describe cause problems further back in the plumbing than the faucet? Sounds like you've been saying no, but I'm trying to be crystal clear. Thanks again.

Reply To This Message

And, no pull out spout here, as you guessed.

Reply To This Message

Author: tnoisaw (MT)

Anything affixed to your faucet spout that was not there from the factory will void the faucet warrantee. It also puts strain on the spout with it hanging off it.

><}}}*>

Reply To This Message

Author: jerco (MD)

All the water pipes are ALWAYS under pressure just waiting for you to turn on a faucet and let the water come out. A portable DW will not add and additional pressure to those lines. The faucet is designed to handle water pressure up to the point where the water is allowed through when you turn the faucet handle on. After that point, the faucet is not designed to hold pressure. Normal conditions would allow the water to just come flowing through the spout and out through the aerator (the thing with the screens that screws onto the end of the spout). When a portable dishwasher is attached to the end of the spout and the water is turned on at the faucet, the spout is instantly under heavy pressure until the dishwasher calls for water. And when the dishwasher doesn't need any more water it stops water from going into the dishwasher and instantly puts all the water pressure back on the spout. The spout is not intended to handle this and WILL start leaking at some point soon, but NO additional pressure will be put on the plumbing inside the walls (water or drain) just the faucet will be adversely affected. (My finger hurts)

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

i agree with jeracos' assement. if the plumbing other than your faucet is leaking it isnt caused by the dw.

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

No. Everything before the faucet is already at system pressure. Back pressure at the faucet spout could only increase to system pressure when the DW was not filling with water.

Reply To This Message

Since the factory would never know about it, there is little chance of the guarantee being voided.

Reply To This Message

Author: steve_g (CA)

Offer to pay a plumber - one that your landlord chooses - to diagnose the leak. Unless it's a very odd leak, it shouldn't take more than one hour. Just a thought.

I'll bet that it has nothing to do with the portable dishwasher.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: How to show an image
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms