Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 1 Cold water faucet makes loud noise
Author: luvs2walk64 (NY)

All my faucets in my house work fine except for 1 cold water faucet in my bathroom. We just replaced the bathroom faucet with a completely new fixture because the cold water suddenly started running very slow and when we took apart cold water faucet there was a cartridge? inside rather than just a washer. Our local hardware store didn't have the part so we just installed a whole new faucet. There are separate faucets for hot and cold water.

Anyway even after putting in new fixture cold water not only still runs slow but now there is a very loud noise when we turn it on.

Could it be something clogging the cold water pipe? Also we have never been able to turn the shut off valves under the sink since we've moved in 10 years ago. Is there any way to fix this without replace them?

Please help asap. Don't want to call plumber if we don't have to.

Reply To This Message

Re: 1 Cold water faucet makes loud noise
Author: e-plumber (NY)

The shut off valves under the basin should be replaced if they're not operable.

At the same time, take the supply off where it connects to the cold side of the faucet, insert it into a bucket, then turn the (new) valve on and test for proper flow at that point.

If you still do not have adequate flow, then call a licensed Plumber to troubleshoot further, it could be a restricted supply pipe.

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -
John William Gardner 10/8/1912 - 2/16/2002

Repair your leaking Plumbing fixtures ASAP [www.theplumber.com]
This slow drip will waste 7+ gallons of water per day.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

The shut off valve under the sink might be the cause of your noise, in which case you replaced the faucet needlessly.

Reply To This Message

Author: alliance (KS)

tHE SHUTOFF VALVE TO THE COLD WATER FAUCET IS MOST LIKELY TO BE THE SOURCE OF YOUR PROBLEM.MINERALS ACCUMULATE OVER TIME THEREBY RESTRICTING THE FLOW TO THE FAUCET, ALSO CAUSING 'WATER HAMMER' (VIBRATING NOISE).

Reply To This Message

Author: tnoisaw (MT)

Sometimes the overall cost of calling a professional is cheaper than doing it yourself.

><}}}*>

Reply To This Message

Author: redwood (CT)

"Sometimes the overall cost of calling a professional is cheaper than doing it yourself."

If you do it right you save, if you do it wrong the plumber may arrive at a simple 10-15 minute job that got turned into a how the heck am I gonna fix that mess. (IE. a simple angle stop valve replacement turns into a whole house brass repipe because the DIYer only used 1 pipe wrench) well the other side of that was the brass was shot anyway and was going to fail sooner or later... but why did I get the call at 7 PM on a saturday nite?

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995 The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.