Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Fluidmaster slow leak/hissing noise - how to repair?
Author: gltgroove

There is a hissing noise but no leak. What can I do? If I push ever so slightly on the device the sound will stop but a little harder push and water begins to drain. Can not stop the slow hiss noise when I release the device. What can I do?

Thank you for your reply.

Reply To This Message

Re: Fluidmaster slow leak/hissing noise - how to repair?
Author: redwood (CT)

If you pick up the float does it stop? If it does the toilet probably has a leaking flapper and the valve is just refilling to keep the proper tank level. If it doesn't stop replace the fluidmaster valve. Also check to make sure that the float is not set too high as it will sometimes bind on the top collar. If this is happening shut off the water at the stop valve near the base of the fill valve there is a ring collar lift the ring and reset the valve 1 notch higher, slide the ring back down to clamp it in place and reset the float height.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

Fludimasters do not adjust by pulling the stem up a notch at a time. They adjust by screwing the top portion in or out of the lower piece. But a constant hissing noise usually indicates a leak at the point where the two pieces join. A new Fluidmaster is the most common repair for it.

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

there is a minor adjustment on the float. 99 out of 100 times anything wrong with a fluidmaster can be cured with a simple replacement of the rubber seal just under the cap. as long as it is the fluidmaster with the problem that is

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: gltgroove

What I thought was a hissing sound has indeed turned out to be a leak after I removed the top. The leak appears to be coming from the arm, nipple or refill tube. The spray is slight but enough to be annoying and should be repaired. My Fluidmaster is older than two years and does not have one of those black plastic water level adjustment rods. It has the older metal rod with the locking v-shaped nut used as a slide adjust. This is most likely not the problem as the previous post mentions 99% of the problems are under the top cap.

So do I replace the complete whisper fill valve with the new Fluidmaster W43C or is there something so easy to replace between the top, arm and nipple and refill tube that I'm just not seeing? I do not see a rubber seal under the cap so what can I try?

Thanks for the reply.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: redwood (CT)

At about $7 a pop for a fluidmaster 400a I would have replaced it a couple of days ago.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.