Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 How to install PVC repair coupling?
Author: jblanche (WI)

I found a PVC repair coupling (1-1/2"winking smiley but I am wondering what the trick is for putting this thing on. I've used repair couplings for copper but never on glued pipe.

(I sawed out a floorboard and "found" a PVC vent pipe right underneath. I only nicked it but I might as well have sawed right through it.)

Could I cut the pipe, prime the coupling, and maybe slide it over the pipe? Then prime and liberally glue the cut ends and quickly slide the coupling down?

This does not look too easy so I bought a few extra for practice! The cut is about in the middle of a 48" run so I'll have a bit of flex but not much.

Thanks.

Links to the State of Wisconsin Plumbing Code:
[docs.legis.wisconsin.gov]
I am not a plumber.

Re: How to install PVC repair coupling?
Author: dlh (TX)

good luck.

i have never been able to get one of these to not leak.

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Author: e-plumber (NY)

Get yourself a no-hub coupling instead.

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -
John William Gardner 10/8/1912 - 2/16/2002

Repair your leaking Plumbing fixtures ASAP [www.theplumber.com]
This slow drip will waste 7+ gallons of water per day.

Author: redwood (CT)

I agree on the pvc repair couplings being about as useless as udders on a bull. I would use a Fernco Proflex Coupling #3000-150.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Author: packy (MA)

if it is only a nick in the pipe, you could cut the coupling in half, the long way, prime the pipe and coupling. apply glue to both and "patch" the nick.

Author: PBwrencher (WI)

It's always best to use a pvc repair coupling on the vertical, just cut your pipe, mark the pipe for correct makeup so the coupling fits even on both sides of the pipe, prime and use plenty of glue even swabbing the joints after you are done.

3 years before Google started PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Vertical or horizontal, what's the difference if a mechanical fitting is used for the repair?, as long as the piping is supported correctly.

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -

Author: jblanche (WI)

Thanks for the ideas. Why would they manufacture something that can't be used properly?

I will check out the Fernco but thinking about it more, I'd like to "do no harm" or at least as little as possible: Since the nick is in the top of a horizontal vent pipe the chance of water damage would be minimal. At most hot water vapor would escape and condense. If I cut the pipe, I leave myself open for more damage than if I just pretend it didn't happen.

So I like Packy's idea of splitting the repair coupling, and I suppose I'd use some hose clamps around it. Maybe the Fernco would allow me to do the same.

Links to the State of Wisconsin Plumbing Code:
[docs.legis.wisconsin.gov]
I am not a plumber.

Author: plumbdad (CA)

Well depends, If its just a nick. Did it cut through the pipe or not. if it didnt cut through dont worry about repairing it. unless its a drain. take the couplin and prime it then put blue glue over that on both the pipe and the coupling.

Author: hj (AZ)

Cut the repair coupling lengthwise, but slightly off center. The larger piece will be primered and glued as will the section of pipe by the cut. Then "snap" the coupling portion onto the pipe over the cut and it will cure the problem.

He was asking the question concerning pvc repair coupling and installing them, not mechanical band aids.

3 years before Google started PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

You didn't answer my question.
I'm curious about your reasoning.

e-plumber

PBwrencher

please define "mechanical band-aids".

Re: PBwrencher
Author: dlh (TX)

i think he is meaning cutting the coupling in half length wise the adding hose clamps to kep it together.

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

in certain situations, i don't see anything wrong with patching a nail hole this way. if the 1/2 coupling and the pipe are primed and glued. i would say that is a very strong repair.
i would prefer this "band-aid" to a slip coupling, which most of us agree is difficult to do and apt to leak.
of course, if there is play in the pipe and a regular coupling can be used, there is no question that a "band-aid" repair should not be the first option.

This is using a repair coupling, not a mechanical band aid.

That would be a "dumb idea" and there is no way it could ever be sealed.

Start building your Ark, because when Packy an I agree on two things, especially within a matter of day, it must mean that the world is about to end, and there could be another flood. Just don't take 120 years to build it.

PVC repair couplings, the old pvc expansion joints, cast iron Session joints, all give about the same quality of fitting to pipe fit and that is why best to be installed on the vertical.

They are rubber or pvc short pieces of hose with hose clamps binding them on two pieces of pipe to form a connection regardless of companies name embossed on them.

I'm sorry you lost me, I was basically saying that jblanche could easily permanently repair the 1-1/2" PVC vent line in the floor that was accidently nicked simply be cutting through the pipe and installing an 1-1/2" no-hub (banded) coupling or even using two of them if there wasn't any play in the piping, instead of messing around with slip coupling(s).

e-plumber

You are thinking about the wrong kind of "repair coupling".

Author: plumbdad (CA)

No one answered my question.

Is the pipe cut all the way trough or is it just nicked?

Yes a no hub band would work. and yes a band aid would to. and you said it was a vent.

Edited 1 times.

The original poster answered your question, "I only nicked it but I might as well have sawed right through it."

e-plumber

Author: MiltonAG (SC)

Since this is a vent pipe it is not pressurized. Therefore almost anything will work!

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.