Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 515,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Plunging a sewer trap
Author: felcunje

Hi,

Does anyone know what tool is best for plunging the sewer trap to a old
house. This is a house that has a pipe coming up in the front lawn. I
once had to call a plumber to plunge it and he used a tool that came in
3 foot sections and had a disc attachement on end. Does nayone know
what this tool is called, how much it costs and where it can be found?
I have asked at Home Depot/Home hardware etc and noone seems to know
what it is called or where I can get one.

I am in Toronto if this helps.

Reply To This Message

Re: Plunging a sewer trap
Author: hj (AZ)

I have never heard of anything like that, but since it would probably be fairly expensive, and would be a waste of time an money, call a plumber do the job right, not plunge the drain.

Reply To This Message

I got a qutoe from a plumber and they said 1000.00 to remove the trap. I only have to plunge tjhe thing like twice a year and probably won't be here for more than 3, so I was hoping I could just get this 3 piece plunger.

Reply To This Message

YOu will probably have better luck with an expanding "bag" that hooks to the end of a hose and then slides down the pipe. It blows up when the water is turned on and seals to the pipe so the water has to go down the pipe, assuming you have it inserted all the way past any side openings.

Reply To This Message

Author: steve_g (CA)

I've got a couple of them. I made one for my wife to use at a property that used to be troublesome (have since replaced the house trap). I don't know what they're called and didn't find anything by googling it. But you could make one fairly easily. Cut a 4" disk out of an old car tire, figure a secure way to attach it to any convenient length of 1/2" galvanized pipe (and I do mean secure), and plunge away. Works like a champ. It will usually clear a house trap with one pop.

This may start a conversation about house traps, but they are required in dense urban areas, and they're there, and they stop up sometimes. When they begin to stop up on a regular basis it's time to start digging.

Reply To This Message

Author: redwood (CT)

The only good housetrap is one that has been dug up, ripped out of the ground and thrown into the scrap metal bin! when allowed by the local code.

If you can't get rid of it the best way to clean it is to push a 3" round blade through the trap and back repeatedly with a power snake while running out a load of hot water out of a washing machine then take a wet/dry vac and suck all the water and remaining debris out of the bottom of the trap. The debris build up is quite hard and will stay where it is unless the blade scapes it loose.Plunging will only cure the clogging briefly before it happens again.

If you use a blow bag make sure it gets down into the trap past the inlet otherwise it will be pushing water into your house and overflowing the lowest fixture. COULD GET REAL UGLY!

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Thanks for all of the replies guys. So when plunging the trap the plunger does not have to bend? As per steve_g's instructions I could just use a long plunger with a 4" disc on the end?

Reply To This Message

If thats what you want to frequently do go for it! If not remove the trap or get it properly cleaned for a much longer solution.

Reply To This Message

Author: pro2002 (KS)

I Have heard of this tool as a plumber used it on my brothers house in New Jersey. It worked like a charm.I have never used one. There are no house traps here. I think you can make one. You described it pretty well.

Pro 2006

Reply To This Message

And if the disc comes loose in the sewer, then prepare yourself to pay the $1,000 to dig it up because there may be no way to retrieve it without excavating.

Reply To This Message

That's why I said 'secure' twice. But the house traps around here are all 5" or 6"; only the vent is 4", so the disk - if it came off - would probably flow into the main.

Reply To This Message

If the riser is 4" and the trap is 5" or 6", then you are not plunging the trap, you are surging the water. To plunge something you need a good seal, and a 4" disc is not going to seal a 5 or 6 inch trap.

Reply To This Message

A better solution may be to modify a Closet Auger by either bending the tube straight or disassmbling the cable and handle cutting the bent end of the tube off and using a piece of 1/2" EMT Conduit and a steel EMT coupling to fasten it onto the end. Then use this to auger the trap. Its not the right way to do it but at least it will loosen some of the debris and make a larger opening than plunging. I myself would clean it properly, But since this thread seems to be so persistant on doing it a different way here's a better way.

Reply To This Message

A trap plunger uses the water in the 4" vent to push the blockage out of the trap. I've used it for regular customers as well as on my own properties and have found it to be a reliable solution - it clears the trap very easily and works 99% of the time. If the trap and/or building drain stop up repeatedly I replace it.

Reply To This Message

Author: e-plumber (NY)

But if it were a stoppage in the trap itself wouldn't the 'pressure' being created from plunging the fresh air vent go towards the house instead of being fully directed to the house trap?

Unless of course ALL of the piping was holding water, which is usually the case when a house trap clogs up.

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -
John William Gardner 10/8/1912 - 2/16/2002

Repair your leaking Plumbing fixtures ASAP [www.theplumber.com]
This slow drip will waste 7+ gallons of water per day.

Reply To This Message

Author: chadk69 (NJ)

I think you're looking for a 4" Disc Curb Plunger. You can purchase the disc and it threads onto a 3/4 steel pipe. You can purchase the pipe at any hardware store I would assume and maybe get about an 8 foot length.

Here is a site that sells the disc:
[www.hardwareandtools.com]

Hope this helps

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: How to show an image
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms