Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 515,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 How to remove stripped screw in hot water handle in bathtub
Author: tikimama56

I am trying to remove the hot water handle in my bathtub because hot water keeps running out of the faucet. I removed the cover but can't remove the screw which seems to be stripped. How can I get this part to loosen (I tried wd40 didn't work) I have heard of stripped screw removers but I don't know what kind I would need or how to use it. I would also like to know how to repair or replace part to fix leaking faucet which is running hot water now.(I will turn off the water tonight until I can figure this out) I think I have washerless faucets.
Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me with this!

Reply To This Message

Re: How to remove stripped screw in hot water handle in bathtub
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

You may need to drill the head off the screw to remove the handle. Then you can just replace the stem, and won't have to worry with the screw.

Reply To This Message

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

Drilling the head off with about a 3/8" diam. bit usually works. Stem will need replacement. Sears has a screw remover set called "ScrewzOut" . I like this a lot. Same principal as an easy out, but you don't have to drill a hole.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj

Call a plumber. He will either remove the screw or replace the stem. Since you do not even know what kind of faucet it is, you may waste a lot of time and effort trying to fix it.

Reply To This Message

Author: rjanuary (CA)

I'm no plumber, but I happened to have just dealt with this exact problem. There are two ways of going about it. The first is to use a screw extractor. Get a pretty small sized one(should easily fit within the screws diameter). Drill a pilot hole first(use a bit slightly smaller than the extracter), then insert the extractor and turn is counter clock wise(or put it in your drill and set it on reverse). As the extractor bites into the screw it will unscrew it.

The other way that may work(did for mine) is to leave the handle on and unscrew the flange. Mine came for enough off the wall that I could get to the valve and remove it(this is ultimatly what you want out if you want to repair the leak). Be sure the water is off before you do this. Only problem with this way is that you have to also replace the flange and the handle.

Best of luck!
Randy

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: How to show an image
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms