Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 515,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Air eliminator for hydronic heat
Author: NotHandy (Non-US)

Hi..I am having a he** of a time keeping air out of my hot water heating boiler. I bleed it and it runs silently for 2-3 days and then air enters/builds and I have to bleed it again. It has a small vent on top of the boiler that to me seems useless. I have heard of a "spiral vent"....anyone have any thoughts as to getting the air out and KEEPING it out? thanx TJ.

Reply To This Message

Re: Air eliminator for hydronic heat
Author: e-plumber (NY)

You may not have to make any changes to the system.

Have you been bleeding the air out with the circulator(s) turned off?, very important.
Usually when a heating system is properly bled of air, it does not return any time soon unless the piping system or boiler is worked on. The same water in a closed forced water heating system can be used for years.

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -
John William Gardner 10/8/1912 - 2/16/2002

Repair your leaking Plumbing fixtures ASAP [www.theplumber.com]
This slow drip will waste 7+ gallons of water per day.

Reply To This Message

I have the circ. pump off..yes...bleed from where return water enters the boiler from the zones..oppsite side from the water supply. Water supply valve is open (small lever lifted) I get lots of air..just did it 20 minutes ago actually...but the air always ! returns. I get a very very small amount of air from the eliminator on top of the boiler...I am wondering if air could be entering from the expansion tank??

I try and try..the more I do, the behinder I get

Reply To This Message

Author: e-plumber (NY)

Normal procedure:

- Shut the circualtor.
- Close all zone valves except the one that you're bleeding air from, manually open it.
- Shut the valve below where you're connecting the hose, open the valve where the hose is connected.
- Let more water pressure into the system, (lift the lever) but don't let it go above 25-27 P.S.I.
- Stick the hose end into a bucket full of water so you can actually see that it's running clear, (with no air bubbles coming from it), it may take several minutes.
- Repeat process with the other zones, one at a time.

If you have a bladder type expansion tank you're not going to get air from it going into the system. A conventional (ceiling mount) type can possibly let air in depending on exactly how and where it's installed. You can always switch to a bladder type pre-charged one if needed.

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -
John William Gardner 10/8/1912 - 2/16/2002

Repair your leaking Plumbing fixtures ASAP [www.theplumber.com]
This slow drip will waste 7+ gallons of water per day.

Reply To This Message

Thats exactly how I do it. And it works fine..for 2/3 days..just did it and I can't even hear it running...yet!

Reply To This Message

Author: Uni R

Do you have a conventional tank?
Air bubbles can go into solution and leave the tank.

Do you have a leak?
Turn your feed off and see if your boiler maintains pressure.

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

spirovent...

[www.spirotherm.com]

Reply To This Message

Author: royboy (SC)

I've used Spirovent on my hot water recirculation for years. It also acts as a scrubber for micro air bubbles.

Reply To This Message

No leaks UNI R...but thanx for the suggestion.and thanx for the link Packy..going there right now! By the way, the air is back! :{

Reply To This Message

Allright !! I got my spirovent installed (actually one from Bell&Gossett,same thing only different), and I literally have to touch the circ. pump to know if its working, the system is so quiet...hopefully it will stay that way....one more question on a related note..I see my boiler callf for a minimun 5.7 gal/min glow over the elements. I have a Grundfoss three speed pump. What speed should it be set at? It can be set with just a screwdriver on the side..any thoughts? And..Thanks gain for the help. :}

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: How to show an image
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms