Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 510,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Toilet Waste-drain Replacement
Author: JayNJ

I just removed an ancient toilet. The floor is rotten, but that is another story. I would like to replace the floor flange and the closet bend pipe leading into the old cast-iron main drain. The waste pipe there now should be in the Smithsonian. I think it might be made of lead. The cast iron pipe has like a wider end about 4" deep and then narrows down as it makes the bend towards the basement. First, how would I loosen/remove the old waste pipe? Second, how would I install a new pvc waste pipe into the old cast-iron pipe?
Thanks.

Reply To This Message

Re: Toilet Waste-drain Replacement
Author: dlh (TX)

it sounds like you have a common closet lead bend.

first you must remove the lead bend from the tee that it goes into . you may have to melt the lead joint if there is one. clean the hub. install a rubber gasket (ty-seal) made for cast iron hubs. cut pvc to fit. bevel the end you will be putting into the rubber gasket. lubricate the inside of the gasket and the outside of the pipe. push and turn (might be difficult) until the pvc pipe has bottomed out in the fitting. glue your 90deg. fitting and riser. cut flush with the floor and glue your flange and then screw it down using stainless or brass screws.

you will definately want to replace the flooring first which i am assuming you are going to do since it is rotten

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: JayNJ

Thanks for the clear direction. Having the correct terminology makes the project much easier to research.

Reply To This Message

Author: e-plumber (NY)

What I normally do in that situation is to leave the poured joint in the cast iron intact. I will cut the lead bend off where the wipe joint is leaving a couple/few inches of brass sticking out of the C.I. hub.

Then melt the lead wipe joint off of the brass ferrule and clean it by wiping the lead away with a dry rag. There are transition fittings, (banded couplings) available that will connect the brass ferrule and the new PVC pipe for the toilet drain.

ProFlex Transition coupling, made by Fernco:

[img.photobucket.com]

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -
John William Gardner 10/8/1912 - 2/16/2002

Repair your leaking Plumbing fixtures ASAP [www.theplumber.com]
This slow drip will waste 7+ gallons of water per day.

Reply To This Message

Author: packy

e-plumber, i do it the same way. the fellule that the lead is wiped to is brass and usually in pretty good condition.

Reply To This Message

Author: Thomas Dermody (WI)

You should save the ancient toilet, clean the rust stains with WINK, polish the chrome with S-O-S pads, and clean the flush holes with a drill bit. Ancient toilets are beautiful to look at and perform well when maintained. Install either a new flush unit or a traditional flush unit. Traditional flush units with the brass floats will allow a higher water level. Replace all rubber washers at tank, and replace pipe between tank and toilet if they are separate. The pipe is readily available.

Reply To This Message

Through past experience I've found than some older toilets are just not worth rebuilding.
Many times it will cost LESS in Labor and Material to replace a decrepit toilet rather than locating replacement parts, especially the type with the tank mounted to the wall with the chrome 2" 90 or offset connecting to the tank.

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -

Reply To This Message

Author: Thomas Dermody (WI)

The angle pipe is available here in Milwaukee at True Value stores and many other stores (like Crown Plumbing) for only $17. Even if it is less expensive to replace with a new toilet, which I doubt, you will never get the looks and functionallity of an old toilet. A traditional flush valve costs only about $20 or $30. An overflow tube costs only about $5. A new rubber ball costs only about $2. The brass float costs only about $3. The base where the rubber ball seats doesn't usually need replacing. The rubber washers are very inexpensive. The toilet will probably not need servicing again for another 10 years. At that point the service will consist of nothing more than a new refill valve washer and a new flush ball (rubber). I've rebuilt many of these toilets, and am always satisfied with their operation. Everyone I know of who has ever wanted to replace one is always pleased when I rebuild their old toilet for them. Most old toilets have styling that is unsurpassed by any modern toilet.

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

i repeat e-plumbers assesment.

some toilets are just not worth rebuilding

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: sharp1 (IL)

Multiply the number of times a day the toilet will be flushed times the difference in gallons (3 ?) per flush of old versus new. The savings on the water/sewer bill should pay for a very nice new toilet.

Reply To This Message

Author: redwood (CT)

Congrats on junking the toilet you made the right choice!

When I replace a lead bend I save the wiped joint. I cut the lead off it and usually install a new flange PVC w/stainless ring and run the necessary pipe and elbows (3";) down to the wiped joint. The 3" pipe slides inside the wiped joint and I slide it back out for the last glue joint with it still slightly inside the wiped joint. the last connection is a 4X3 fernco that seals the wiped joint to the 3" pvc. The slight overlap of the 3" pvc into the wiped joint makes that connection pretty damn sturdy.

Reply To This Message

If you're talking about those rubber Fernco sleeves with only two hose clamps, those don't fly with inspectors around here and I will only use one for a temporary repair. I've used a couple of the clay X cast iron ones for underground sewer line repairs when in a jam but very rarely and only if an inspector approves it.

e-plumber

Reply To This Message

Author: Enzo (MO)

THANK YOU VERY MUCH ! You just made my life so much easier tonight. First attempt at removing lead waste pipe from a C.I. Hub. Seen your post about leaving the brass ferrule and that was THE ticket! I can now go to bed and sleep.

Enzo

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: How to show an image
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms