Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
Buy plumbing supplies online
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 525,000 Posts in over 155k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions keeping all positive and with no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 water hammer in hot water heater
Author: Anonymous User

Hey guys, I finally got the expansion tank put on my hot water heater. So far so good. Knock on wood, but the relief valve has quit popping off. I also put a water hammer arrester on the hot line just above the water heater. Anyway everthing has seem to be working ok. The hammer was still there when I turned the water back on, but it was not bad at all. I have noticed that over the last two weeks that the hammer has come back over time. I believe that the hammer is inside the water heater.

The incoming pressure is 44psi after the prv. A backflow is also present.

Now a bit of history. The water heater is electric and 52 gallon. Its 11 years old and I was on a well where I used to get a ton of sediment. This past summer I switch over to county water. When the water heater used to turn on, you could hear it popping louding from the upstairs. Sounded like it was going to blow. I flushed it several times this summer and I have drained it down some when re-doing the cold and hot lines over the past month. It heats up without the loud noises since I flushed it. You can still here some popping inside but you have to have your ear to it.

Not sure where to go from here. The hammer occurs at the water heater on both the cold and hot. If I keep turning the water on and off the noise get louder. Is the noise going to hurt anything? Thanks, Russ

Reply To This Message

Re: water hammer in hot water heater
Author: packy (MA)

water heaters do not cause water hammer.
if the nipples on top of the heater have plastic ball checks in them, they could be the cause.
other causes could be excess pressure or excess velocity(too small piping) or loose piping or loose washers in a valve.

Reply To This Message

I get alot of complaints of those ball checks and even have removed them from the dip tubs in the older water heaters.

After explaining what they are for to the home owner I ask if they want me to pipe in a heat trap, most people say no thats o.k.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

Are you hearing the popping noise or a water hammer bang? What do you turn on and off to make it happen? water hammer arrestors at the water heater to not prevent water hammer. Water hammer is caused by faucets or valves shutting off too quickly while water is flowing through them and the arrestor has to be at the valve to stop the hammer. Your description implies that you are hearing the "normal" popping when water is heated in an old tank that has calcium encrustation inside it. Either on the flue of a gas heater or the elements of an electric one.

Reply To This Message

hj, Its a bang noise at the heater any time water is turned on anywhere in the house.

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

the nipples on top of the heater have little plastic balls in them. remove the plastic balls. they were a bad idea in the first place.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

True water hammer occurs when a faucet or valve closes. There are several things that could cause a bang when the faucet is opened, starting with a long, undersized water supply pipe.

Reply To This Message

The house has new copper 3/4inch. I used to have 1/2 inch copper and I went to 3/4. I will try to remove the plastic inside the nipples.

Reply To This Message

Author: jjbex (IL)

Save yourself a headache. Remove the factory nipples and use brass. I would get rid of the dielectric unions if any and use flexis or brass/copper unions.

Peace out,

Kordts

Reply To This Message

Author: lordofthering (NJ)

@packy,
Which nipple are you referring to ? Air Vent ?. I have the same issue from my indirect fired water heater and it is happening when cold water gets into the tank. I think it is due to high pressure in cold water.

How do I remove water ball from Air Vent ?.

Thanks in Advance.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.