Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 525,000 Posts in over 155k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions keeping all positive and with no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 too many traps and fittings?
Author: sum (FL)

I have a double sink. Left side has a garbage disposal and the right side does not. The left side has a trap then drains to the right side which then has a trap too.

Once in a while when I run the garbage disposal it vibrates and shakes and some fitting will come loose and water splashes everywhere. I had this happened twice in the last three months.

So, I think this is because the whole contraption (done by last owner) has too many fittings. I counted nine.

Is the picture below the way it should be hooked up? I kind of think may be the trap between the garbage disposal and right drain is not needed. Any advise?

See picture here:
[img.villagephotos.com]

Thanks,

Sum

Reply To This Message

Re: too many traps and fittings?
Author: jjbex (IL)

It is double trapped. The trap out of the disposer needs to be eliminated. Instead of the j-bend out of the disposer, use a flanged tailpiece straight into the tee. make sure you have a baffle tee.

Peace out,

Kordts

Reply To This Message

Author: Anonymous User

code in california states that the garbage disposal discharge should go down directly to the trap. connect the right side of the sink using an end out let asembly. the current configuration is definetly wrong

Reply To This Message

Author: sum (FL)

Can you explain what is a "baffle" tee?

Thanks,

Sum

Reply To This Message

Author: joint-runner (MA)

Cut it all out and hard pipe it,I hate those type of fittings...handyman speicals.

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

joint runner is 1000% right. hard pipe the drains. put a cleanout tee in the pipe as it comes from the wall. the current configuration is a disaster waiting to happen..

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

That is what happens when a handyman or homeowner installs the disposer and only knows how to use the fitting that came with it. The disposer has two traps, but it is not "double trapped" which is a different situation altogether. It is not "illegal" or "wrong" just a poor installation. If you buy a "disposer connection kit" it will have the correct tube for the disposer outlet and a baffle tee, although your tee should be a baffle tee already. I remove "hard piped" sink/disposer connections, I do not install them.

Reply To This Message

Author: e-plumber (NY)

...and if you have low hot water pressure, un-kink the supply hose. Better yet, remove them and install rigid supplies or at the very least, the metal braided type.

e-plumber

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -
John William Gardner 10/8/1912 - 2/16/2002

Repair your leaking Plumbing fixtures ASAP [www.theplumber.com]
This slow drip will waste 7+ gallons of water per day.

Reply To This Message

in massachusetts, it is illegal to have a slip fitting on the outlet side of the trap. so i routinely remove slip piping and replace it with hard piping. the only slip joints i put in are the disposer ell and the strainer tailpiece. consequently, the homeowner can store things under the sink without dislodging piping.

Reply To This Message

If you have been reading your own posts, you will see that almost everything is illegal in MA.

Reply To This Message

in mass, there are more restrictions to plumbing than there are to marriage. cabeesh??

Reply To This Message

Or driving over bridges.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.