Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 515,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 CPVC vs Copper?
Author: gregnjny (NJ)

Any thoughts here on which is better for supply lines? Local regs allow both, and I like the thought of just gluing lines together, versus soldering.

I'm also concerned about corrosion due to galvanic coupling in some places. Some of the lines I must couple to (at least for now) are brass. The water line coming into the house appears to be iron/steel.

Is there anything to be really careful about in using CPVC over Cu?

Post Edited

Reply To This Message

Re: CPVC vs Copper?
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

When using cpvc we have to stay at least 18" away from the water heater. If cpvc freezes it can split along an entire run. If you need to tee into it later, you'll have to wait awhile for the glue to dry before turning the water back on. I personally would never chose cpvc over copper.

Reply To This Message

Author: jjbex (IL)

Copper over cpvc anyday. I get called in to fix a lot of DIYer messes. Them that can, solder, them that can't, use plastic.

Peace out,

Kordts

Reply To This Message

Author: nosaj (CT)

Brass is your friend in making connections of unlike materials. Think of it as Switzerland-neutral. Doesn't react to copper. As for the steel-to-copper connection (your supply is probably galvanized steel, not black steel)...An IPS ball valve or dielectric union could be used. Or perhaps others on this forum have better solutions for making this connection... I would personally go copper or Pex over CPVC for the water supply.

Jason

Reply To This Message

Author: jjbex (IL)

I removed a 3/8" brass nipple last week. The house was plumbed in the 40's with galvanised. At some point, the original galv. nipple was replaced with brass. It took about 15 minutes for the toilet tank to refill. I pulled the nipple and I couldn't see thru it. It was totally occluded with rust. With hard water, the brass acts like a magnet. By the way, the water was over 60 years. The house has a well, and a cistern. The cistern has a jet pump and pressure tank, it feeds the water heater. The w.h. was a "Homart," does anybody recall seeing a working water that old? It is beautiful condition. When I get a little more cashflow, I will buy a digital camera. I might be able to post a pic if I get the camera soon. I have to go back to replace a laundry faucet. The faucet was 60 years old, no problems, the well pump needed to be replaced. That process stirred up a lot of rust and sediment. The well guy was trying to run the faucet to flush the system. The faucet clogged up, instead of disassembling the faucet and blowing it out, he beat on the faucet with a hammer. What a maroon!

Peace out,

Kordts

Reply To This Message

Author: rdog157h

Pex is junk, dont even consider it, copper is best then cpvc but forget you ever heard of pex!! dont use that crap!!

Reply To This Message

Author: hj

Homart was Sears before they started using the Kenmore brand.

Reply To This Message

Author: kindy69 (WI)

"Author: rdog157h

Pex is junk, dont even consider it, copper is best then cpvc but forget you ever heard of pex!! dont use that crap!!"

i tell you what, you obviously dont know any pros or cons to using pex, you must be old schooled and are afraid of new products/technology. For that, I feel sorry for you

Reply To This Message

But it was the steel that rotted-not the brass...

Jason

Reply To This Message

Can't be too bad with a 25 year warranty. Yes-copper can come with a 50 year, but my parents house is an example of copper's failure with difficult water-built in the mid 80's, they've replaced nearly all the tubing due to failure and leaks. Some creating massive damage. Any material in the wrong environment will fail. No exceptions. Used appropriately and in the right circumstances, many materials live up to and exceed performance standards. My home was build in the early 60's and the water lines are still in fantastic shape. The copper DWV, however, if beginning to fail and I am replacing it with it's plastic competitor-PVC. I hope I'm around long enough to see if it performs for a longer period of time!

Jason

Reply To This Message

More support for your CPVC-right off our boards...

We moved into a 2-year-old home, and found that the cpvc ball valves the builder used for master water shutoff and water heater supply are stuck open. I tried and tried, but could never close them. Called the builder, who said call a plumber. Called the plumber, who said "just turn it back and forth, and it will eventually open." It did not. Tried for two hours - finally broke off one of the "wings" on the handle.

Jason

Reply To This Message

Thanks for your replies, everyone.
Author: gregnjny (NJ)

Thanks for your replies, everyone. Working with copper seems to be a basic skill that I should acquire no matter what; I'll probably do a lot of practice on small scrap pieces.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: How to show an image
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms