Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Does Rootx really work?
Author: Anonymous User

I am probably going to need to have my main line augered for roots. Years ago, in another house I did that and was sold a product that went down the toilet called Rootx, that is supposed to prevent regrowth of roots. It seemed a bit hoaky to me and expensvie - $95. If I do have roots in my main line, and they are augered out is Rootx worthwhile or is it baloney??

Re: Does Rootx really work?
Author: PlumberManDan (IA)

I like copper suflate better.

Plumbermandan

Author: Dunbar (KY)

I sell it to customers all the time after a good drain cleaning, most times they call me a year later for the application, no drain cleaning needed.

You have to allow the foaming to last an hour, which means no water running down the drain after application.

Author: hj (AZ)

You have to trust the advertising. It is like a lot of other products that you cannot see operating. It may not do any good, but at least it does not do any damage. There is no way to tell if the time between root infestations is increased because of the Root-X or that is just the amount of time the roots required anyway.

Author: Dunbar (KY)

Has nothing to do with advertising, has everything to do with the inert ingredients that make the product reliable.

[www.rootx.com]

The MSDS states what the product is comprised of. Mainly used by zoos, large aquatic structures to control algae growth.

Large city systems use the product in bulk to control root growth. The foaming action surpasses the old school copper sulfate since copper sulfate is detrimental to all surrounding root growths concerning nearby trees, and, doesn't stop mop hair root growth that generally grows top down, not bottom up.

I have too many customers on annual contracts that once had continuous root intrusion problems, and then once starting the treatment process of RootX, no more drain cleaning. Kinda knocked myself out of job security. Some of these drain systems were problematic up to 2.5 month intervals.

But, I own the yearly contract to come back and use the product, not the machine.

RootX has to be used within 1 hour of cutting the roots, or 6 to 8 weeks, cannot be inbetween. Reason: Roots, like any tree, shrub, bush, plant, there is a built-in defense system when cutting or pruning.

The ends where you have cut roots will sap over and protect any type of chemical treatment from being effective. Thus the reason for immediate application after a thorough root cutting.

Make sure that no water, even urinating in toilets is not recommended after application. This foaming action will saturate the piping system inside the groudwork of the home, including out to the main sewer.

The longer the foam stays in the pipe, the better the application. Copper sulfate only gradually trails the bottom of the piping, and has been related to trees being damage as a result due to ground saturation by excessive use.

The product is expensive, but has a track history worth mentioning. I have a great deal of satisfied customers that are controlling the issue of dig up and replacement.......

Author: maureen (Canada)

For the past 2 years just before Christmas we would get a main line sewer clog and have to call in the plumbers at a cost of about $550 to clear the line. This was also devastating and a massive clean-up job just before Christmas two years running. Our plumber didn't mention root-x only digging as a possible solution or yearly clean outs.

We used root-x six months after the plumber cleared the roots and so far so good we haven't had another blockage. I will use this product yearly. It is fairly easy to use just have the water ready to pour down the toilet. We purchase root-x from a plumber and the product is in good shape.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.