Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 515,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 lasco 3-piece tub
Author: Anonymous User

Just installed Lasco 3-piece tub. Very experienced licensed plumber and my husband. Showered next A.M. LEAKS!! One wall not closed yet so traced leak to center seam, down to channel, through one of the bolts. Lots of caulk used. Is the design with center seam catching water causing the problem?? Seems now that even if we pull and re-caulk at the bolt, water is going down that seam and has to go somewhere. Any solutions, ideas, experience with these tub units??
Thanks in advance.

Reply To This Message

Re: lasco 3-piece tub

Patty,

Within the past year, I have installed two Lasco tub/shower units. One was a two piece, the other a three-piece unit. No problems with either one. Lasco makes a decent quality product, in my opinion.

You said "lots of caulk" was used. Was the center seam caulked before the two wall pieces were bolted together? Was the tub lip caulked (including a circle of caulk around each snap-lock fastener) before the wall assembly was put atop the tub?

Most importantly, were all seams (both the center seam, and the entire seam where the tub meets the wall sections) caulked AFTER the whole unit was together?

I wouldn't go tearing the tub apart to caulk the bolts (I think you are referring to the snap-lock fasteners in the tub channel).

Instead, I would just caulk all the seams from inside the tub. Even if the seams were caulked before assembly, there are probably small voids and imperfections. A second application of caulk would fill these voids. And, if you use enough caulk and apply it neatly, it will fill in the seams and make them less noticeable, giving the tub a nice, finished appearance. I can't imagine water leaking through a bolt hole if ALL the seams are caulked as described.

By the way, I prefer 100 percent silicone over caulk. Silicone is difficult to work with and clean up, but it lasts longer and is more mildew resistant than caulk. I always give a second application of silicone after the unit is assembled.

The only tips I can give you on working with silicone is keep the tube opening small, don't apply too much, and smooth it and work it into the seams with your finger. And work quickly. It is better to apply too little, as you could always do another application, than to use too much and have it smear and make a mess. It really takes practice to do a neat job with silicone (perhaps practice on an old sink or something else you don't care about before tackling the tub).

Good luck, let us know how it works out.

Reply To This Message

Thanks so much for your response - it was very thorough and concerned at the same time. With those qualities, you must be a great plumber.

The only thing they did NOT do was the final caulk after the install, so the water went down the deep vertical center seam and sits in the horizontal seam.

We're kind of surprised that the final caulk was necessary because none of the photos on web site or catalog show these seams caulked.

It's caulked now, and we're still deciding what to do. I was looking forward to not having to maintain caulk lines....sigh!

Thanks again for your advice. It's much appreciated.

Reply To This Message

Patty, you're very welcome.

Photos in a catalog or on a website don't always accurately portray the finished product in real-life, actual use.

By the way, the compliment in the first paragraph of your post made my day! Thank you!

Reply To This Message

Sterling from kohler...no more bolts...no more leaks.

Reply To This Message

Yes..we are learning the (very) hard way. We'll never order from a catalog/supplier without seeing the unit. Husband says he feels like he's showering in a tupperware container - so small.

We're going back to the traditional tub/tile walls. His plumbing experience says cast iron, but his lower back is saying either Americast (Am Std) or Endurocast (Eljer).

Any experience/advice with these materials?

We don't want fiberglass/porcelain-steel etc.

Will post to main page - but wanted to let you know via this thread what we're moving to.

As always, thanks!

Reply To This Message

Posted to new thread

Post Edited

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: How to show an image
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms