Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 515,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Direct Burial Nat Gas Piping
Author: Anonymous User

I'm installing a new natural gas fueled standby generator (12Kw) about 70 feet from the house. At full load it will consume about 220 cu/ft/hr of gas, and I have determined that I need to supply it with 1" gas line (100 foot run) to keep it happy.

So I need to bury about 65 feet of 1" gas line, and I am looking for suggestions on the least expensive material to use for the buried section of line while still conforming to code and good practice. (OK, If you want to suggest good practice and stretch the code, I'll listen).

We have low pressure gas here in rural NE Illinois, and I have no doubt that sched 40 PVC would do the job, but I don't see that any plastic pipe but ASTM D2513 has been accepted for this application, and it smells like pretty expensive stuff to me.

I was a pipefitter in a past life, so you can use big words. Thanks in advance.

Reply To This Message

Re: Direct Burial Nat Gas Piping

Than you must of died from an explosion if you used sch40 pvc in you past life!!!!!, get a Licenced Plumber

Reply To This Message

So, in your learned opinion, 7 psi is likely to burst sched 40 PVC? Thanks for the advice.

Reply To This Message

Author: Dunbar (KY)

Run 1" PE piping.

It is yellow in color, run a #10 tracer wire along with it, tape the wire every 4 feet.

Turn up a Normac riser (Meter kit) at either end (if need be) where the pipe must come up through the grade and capable of being damaged.

Have the gas line inspected, and run a straight line when you do it from point A to point B.

Reply To This Message

Thanks Dunbar! Checked some prices. Looks like I might stay under $200 for the underground section, and that includes 2 meter kits with brackets.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj

How about little words. PVC is no longer approved for gas piping. The only thing I would use underground is polyethylene with "compression" fittings and the approved transition risers.

Reply To This Message

No, but at one time they made yellow PVC for use with natural gas. They do not make it any more.

Reply To This Message

I hope you mean 7" pressure. 7 psi is well above most high pressure ratings.

Reply To This Message

The only fly in the ointment is that you are not supposed to be able to purchase the pipe or fittings without a certification license.

Reply To This Message

holy cow! since when is low pressure gas 7psi? Up here standard gas pressure is 7-14 inches of w.c. which is a little more than 1/2lb psi!

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: How to show an image
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms